Vector assets

Talk about map artwork, share links to artwork (including symbols you made). Please DO NOT link to downloads or sites that are breaking someone's copyrights.

Moderator: Kyete

Balmung

Vector assets

Post by Balmung » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:27 am

I found a comment related to vector assets (https://otherworldmapper.com/forum/view ... ctor#p1393) but this feature is so important to me, that I have to start a dedicated thread :)

Right now there is not a single map making software which uses vector assets, but at least OWM is the only one supporting vectors.

To start/focus with/on pixel assets is absolutly fine and the reason has already been told by Kanchou in the linked thread at the top:
They tend to not look as good as png because it's harder to get the "painted" feel to them.
The thing is:
  • People who know vector images understand that and doens't have the requirement for 1:1 copies of pixel assets.
  • People who are interested in vector assets are mostly going to create big maps, so their (and my) demand are assets that are able to get bigger and not as tiny as possible.
I know that nearly everyone is happy with a DIN A4 or DIN A3 map. But I want to create a map with the native size of DIN A0 and be able print it with the size of 2x DIN A0 and absolutly sharp lines and images.

In the OWM gallery is this map: Image

Those mountains would be awesome just in black & white, without a filling colour - same for the trees.
But an artist may have a better idea how vector mountains and trees should or need to look like.

So my proposal is to start just with a set of vector assets to be able to create black & white maps.

I wouldn't mind if you made that a feature of the extended version of OWM.
I just really really want to create a map which is 100% made of vectors.
System information:
  • Windows 10 Professional x64
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce 3070 FE

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Vector assets

Post by Kanchou » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:56 pm

Balmung wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:27 am
I found a comment related to vector assets (https://otherworldmapper.com/forum/view ... ctor#p1393) but this feature is so important to me, that I have to start a dedicated thread :)

Right now there is not a single map making software which uses vector assets, but at least OWM is the only one supporting vectors.

To start/focus with/on pixel assets is absolutly fine and the reason has already been told by Kanchou in the linked thread at the top:
They tend to not look as good as png because it's harder to get the "painted" feel to them.
The thing is:
  • People who know vector images understand that and doens't have the requirement for 1:1 copies of pixel assets.
  • People who are interested in vector assets are mostly going to create big maps, so their (and my) demand are assets that are able to get bigger and not as tiny as possible.
I know that nearly everyone is happy with a DIN A4 or DIN A3 map. But I want to create a map with the native size of DIN A0 and be able print it with the size of 2x DIN A0 and absolutly sharp lines and images.

In the OWM gallery is this map: Image

Those mountains would be awesome just in black & white, without a filling colour - same for the trees.
But an artist may have a better idea how vector mountains and trees should or need to look like.

So my proposal is to start just with a set of vector assets to be able to create black & white maps.

I wouldn't mind if you made that a feature of the extended version of OWM.
I just really really want to create a map which is 100% made of vectors.
That's actually a great point, considering recreating some of the "easier" assets we already have (like mountains) as vectors. What do you think?

I'll try to get that going soon and see how they turn out.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:48 am

I looked into the programm folder and think everything named "White ..." under Basic Terrain and Basic Vegetation should be a enough to make complete vector maps.
System information:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce 3070 FE

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:54 pm

Balmung wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:48 am
I looked into the programm folder and think everything named "White ..." under Basic Terrain and Basic Vegetation should be a enough to make complete vector maps.
Thank you! That sounds good, we'll start with those.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:08 pm

I am already looking forward to it :)
System information:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce 3070 FE

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:00 am

It seems the vector artwork doesn't made it into 1.0.4.

Does it just take longer or is there an obstacle?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:37 pm

Balmung wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:00 am
It seems the vector artwork doesn't made it into 1.0.4.

Does it just take longer or is there an obstacle?
Artist that is doing them has a lot of work, so she's a bit behind. She's around 80% done, so it should be there with the next release.

Thank you!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:26 pm

Do you think we could get a mini package of 1-3 assets (1 mountain, 1 tree, 1 other thing) to play around with?

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:55 pm

That last bloody 20% takes forever ;)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:33 pm

Balmung wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:55 pm
That last bloody 20% takes forever ;)
Good news is we have the new SVG support fully incorporated into OWM and it's looking great with the new assets :). Now's getting past regression and the next release..

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software