Layering features

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

soulclaw

Layering features

Post by soulclaw » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:24 pm

I have laid out some mountains and am trying to put a cave mouth feature on them but it always goes behind the mountain and when I go to the layer controls it is greyed out and I cannot move the cave feature to the front. Is there any way to fix this?
A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single command from a satellite activated mind control chip.

Uldar

Re: Layering features

Post by Uldar » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:11 am

You may not have the cave selected. In your features list, find it and drag the order up above the mountain.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:49 pm

The only other thing I can think of is I wonder if it ended up under a different "parent"? I'm not sure how your map is lay out.

Would be happy to take a look if it's a map you can share with us.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

soulclaw

Post by soulclaw » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:16 pm

OK, I finally got time to get back to this and have discovered some things.

When I did the early part of the map the mountains ended up in the layers list under Canvas > Features whereas the trees, caves, etc are under Canvas > Landmass > Landmass 1 > Features. I have to manually move the cave mouth or whatever to a different part of the layer list but this is time consuming.

How can I control which part of layers my feature goes to when I place them?
A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single command from a satellite activated mind control chip.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:20 pm

The features should be "children" of the item you click on when placing. So, if you click on a landmass, then the feature should be under Canvas > Landmasses > Landmass # > Features.

You can change which "parent" the feature is on using the transform tool. Drag the feature over the landmass/canvas and a tooltip should pop up to hold shift and release to move the feature to the new "parent".

Please let us know if these don't work or you have any other questions!
-Katie