More control of layers?

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

evildmguy

More control of layers?

Post by evildmguy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:04 am

How do I hide features under stairs?

I want the barrels to be under the stairs. How would I do this?
BarrelsAndStairs.png
BarrelsAndStairs.png (97.68 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
Thanks!

edg

evildmguy

Re: More control of layers?

Post by evildmguy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:18 am

Well, apparently not. Bummer.

SilverSurfer1221

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:48 pm

In your image, are the stairs just another graphic (another Feature)? If so, right-click on the stairs to access the right-click menu and go to Layer Order. That will open up another menu where you can select how you want to alter the feature (move up or down the stack ... forward or back). Alternatively, you can right-click on your barrels and do the same (but move it down/back instead of up/forward).

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:26 am

At this point, the layering between different tool types is fixed and can't be changed. Basically, if you open the tree view of objects under "Layers" on the left side, leaf nodes can be reordered on their branch, but not moved to another branch and the branches can't be moved at all, so Stairs will always be under Features, just like Regions are always under Zones. (I also see that Stairs are placed behind Buildings and City Walls... Seems like an odd ordering to me...)

The devs have previously talked about adding more flexibility in ordering objects of different types, but I have no idea where that's likely to fit on the timeline for future development.

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:42 am

Then there should be an open Feature Request in this forum: https://otherworldmapper.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
If not, you could create one.

evildmguy

Post by evildmguy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:08 pm

The stairs are not an feature but the stairs tool. As someone else said, there is no layering between tool types.

Even the ability to put a mask on the feature layer to remove part of it would be helpful.

Thanks for the replies!

edg

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:54 pm

evildmguy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:08 pm
The stairs are not an feature but the stairs tool. As someone else said, there is no layering between tool types.

Even the ability to put a mask on the feature layer to remove part of it would be helpful.

Thanks for the replies!

edg
That's a good suggestion, thank you! There are no real engine limitations to free layering it's mostly a matter of deciding how we want to handle the UI changes.

Hoping to have this added with our next major release (V1.1) sometime later this year.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software