Doors?

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

evildmguy

Doors?

Post by evildmguy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:57 am

Is it possible to create a door based on some art packs I have?
Metal Double Door 2x2.png
Metal Double Door 2x2.png (23.47 KiB) Viewed 5939 times
I would like to turn that, and others, into a door in a new theme. Is this possible?

Thanks!

edg

evildmguy

Re: Doors?

Post by evildmguy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:04 pm

Or, really, anything. Windows. Walls. Is it possible to use custom art packs and make a theme?

SilverSurfer1221

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:09 pm

You are able to import your own art to use (or art you've acquired elsewhere) and save it to use at any time. At the top of the UI to the right is a square icon that looks like a frame with mountains in it. If you click that, it opens the Art Manager. You can use the Art Manager to import your custom art assets and organize them as you please.

To learn how to use the Art Manager, use this link:

https://www.otherworldmapper.com/blog/t ... -tutorial/

evildmguy

Post by evildmguy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:19 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I have found the art managers and that does allow me to put things into the Feature Tool area but not the Opening Tool (Door) area.

I'm also wondering if I can import art into the path tool to lay down a fence instead of a road or river.

Thanks!

edg

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:40 am

evildmguy wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:19 pm
I have found the art managers and that does allow me to put things into the Feature Tool area but not the Opening Tool (Door) area.
You should also be able to import textures using the art manager, which can then be set as the texture on your doors. Note that you may also need to set the tool's color as well as the texture to get the full look you want.
evildmguy wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:19 pm
I'm also wondering if I can import art into the path tool to lay down a fence instead of a road or river.
The path tool also uses textures for its filled area, the same as the opening tool's doors do. However, the textures aren't applied with any sense of directionality, so trying to force them into being a line (for a fence) isn't likely to work at all well. You might be better off using the City Wall and Wall Tower tools instead, with the fence itself as a wall, and towers as your fence posts. And, of course, both of those tools can use textures, too.

evildmguy

Post by evildmguy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:42 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Another question on doors. If I create a corridor and then make a closed room, both have a wall. If I use a thick setting for the door, it covers up both walls. But if I want an inset door, it puts it on the closed room but then the corridor wall is still there. Now, I know that I can go to the corridor and put a gap there and then door on the closed room. Is that the only way to make the door looks smaller than the wall?

Thanks!

edg

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:32 pm

evildmguy wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:42 pm
Thanks for the replies!

Another question on doors. If I create a corridor and then make a closed room, both have a wall. If I use a thick setting for the door, it covers up both walls. But if I want an inset door, it puts it on the closed room but then the corridor wall is still there. Now, I know that I can go to the corridor and put a gap there and then door on the closed room. Is that the only way to make the door looks smaller than the wall?

Thanks!

edg
I think the problem there is how the corridor and closed area tools are confusing (this is left over from earlier development). Currently, you can't really mix the two because of issues like you encountered.

What you would want to do is used the closed area tool for all of it (you can set it to "add mode" to add to an existing closed area), and then use the free standing wall tool to create the internal walls.

This is something we need to make videos on so it makes more sense :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:26 am

Kanchou wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:32 pm
What you would want to do is used the closed area tool for all of it (you can set it to "add mode" to add to an existing closed area), and then use the free standing wall tool to create the internal walls.
I was playing with this a bit after seeing evildmguy's post and this is basically what I came up with, although I used Merge Paths instead of Add Mode, which has the added benefit of allowing you to reposition/resize the individual pieces (e.g., making sure all your hallways are the same width) before locking them in place by merging.

Are there plans to make closed areas and corridors play together better in a future version?

evildmguy

Post by evildmguy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 pm

@nDervish, thanks for the thoughts. I guess I'm wanting to put in an image, like in my OP.

Thanks again!

edg