Map Key function?

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

user_ef

Map Key function?

Post by user_ef » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:30 pm

Is there a way to build a map key from the symbols (cities, ect.) used to make a map?

Maybe I am missing something (I often am), but I don't see anything that would allow me to make something like that easily.

Any pointers would be most appreciated!

E

ORtrail

Re: Map Key function?

Post by ORtrail » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:32 pm

I had to go check on this, but it works. Pick a fairly clear corner of your map, put the symbols down in a column, adjusting the size as needed. Use the Text tool [Text Label Tool] to add a label to the side of each one as desired. Pick a shape [Shape Tool] (probably square) and put it over your legend icons and text. Add a "Legend" title and you are good to go.

I'm still pretty new to OWM, so there may be better ways to do this, but it should do the job for now.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:07 pm

ORtrail wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:32 pm
I had to go check on this, but it works. Pick a fairly clear corner of your map, put the symbols down in a column, adjusting the size as needed. Use the Text tool [Text Label Tool] to add a label to the side of each one as desired. Pick a shape [Shape Tool] (probably square) and put it over your legend icons and text. Add a "Legend" title and you are good to go.

I'm still pretty new to OWM, so there may be better ways to do this, but it should do the job for now.
Indeed this is the way to do it right now. We are working on having a dedicated tool next. Hopefully early next year.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

user_ef

Post by user_ef » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:03 pm

Thank you so much for the replies. That makes sense as an approach for now. Adding a standard feature also sounds like a great help for a future release.

I very much appreciate how helpful this forum is!

Evan

Uldar

Post by Uldar » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:42 am

For my latest regional map, I had to spin up another owm map for just the legend, because I wanted its background to be white without a grid. However, I wanted the rest of the map to have a grid. Then I combined them in GIMP. It's definitely a gap, but it hasn't held me back from achieving what I wanted.