Creating a planet map?

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

ORtrail

Creating a planet map?

Post by ORtrail » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:30 pm

So, I want to use the space canvas and drop a planet down in the center. My first thought was to use the Shape Tool and drop in a rounded shape that I could then fill in to create an eyeball type planet. The shape becomes the child to the parent landmass though and the regions I want on the circular shape are behind it. I'm still new to using Other World Mapper, so I'm hoping there is an easy solution someone can suggest.

Moving layers does not show up as an option for this.

Drawing a decent circle freehand is not going well, so how do I create a nice circular shape that can be worked with?

Here's what I was trying to do with canvas and circle shape tool.

nDervish

Re: Creating a planet map?

Post by nDervish » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:55 am

Personally, I think I'd come at it from a completely different direction - take that image you posted and use it as a background canvas, and draw your map so that it completely covers (and goes beyond the edge of) the circle, then go back to whatever image editing program you originally used, cut the circle out of the background image, and paste the rest of it back on top of the map so that it hides the parts that are outside of the circle. (The background canvas copy of the image is just there as a guide so that you know where the circle is and can be sure to completely fill it.)

ORtrail

Post by ORtrail » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. I do have trial copies of the Affinity software, so I could mess around with Affinity Photo for example. I don't really know how to use Affinity either, and I was hoping to create this planet using just the Other World Mapper software.

Still, using what I have as a starting point with other software might be the way to go here. Unless someone has created some planets with the OWM software and can share the process?

ORtrail

Post by ORtrail » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:45 pm

I finally sat down today to work on this and used the original circle image and space as the canvas (as suggested by nDervish). It's a quick n dirty map, literally a little rough around the edges, but it looks like what I was going for.

A quick note: Just drag and drop the pic you want to use onto the OWM editing field and it becomes the canvas layer. I had done this once before and forgotten it was just that easy -you can't just copy and paste though.