Working with lights - or not

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

MichaelvanK

Working with lights - or not

Post by MichaelvanK » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:38 am

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get my head around the new light features for a dungeon I want to draw for my novel.

I am having difficulty when it comes to allowing the light to shine through gaps.

Since it is a new feature, I'm not sure if it is just me not understanding the process correctly or whether it is a bug that needs fixing. Here's my problem with pictures.

I have a corridor (Corridor 1) which I want to attach to a room (Wall 1). Where they join, I have created an opening in each - Opening 1 in the wall and Opening 3 in the corridor (set to allow light through). The wall opening has been set to be a two-part door, open, and allowing light through. In the corridor, I have placed a lamp (Feature 11).

lights-01.jpg
lights-01.jpg (143.3 KiB) Viewed 3914 times

If I place a light in the corridor (Light Source 2), it is correctly contained by the corridor walls and is allowed through the corridor opening, but is not constrained by the doors on the wall.

lights-02.jpg
lights-02.jpg (136.76 KiB) Viewed 3914 times

If I place a light on the canvas (Light Source 3) and move it so that it is over the lamp, it correctly gets constrained by the door and the wall, but not the corridor.

lights-03.jpg
lights-03.jpg (126.01 KiB) Viewed 3914 times

How can I place a light in this configuration of corridor and room that conforms to the wall constraints of both, like this (Photoshopped to get the effect)?

Sorry, seems I can't add a fourth image to a post. I'll add it to a reply.
I'm a writer who builds worlds with words, but now I can build pictures too!

MichaelvanK

Re: Working with lights - or not

Post by MichaelvanK » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:39 am

Here's what I'm trying to achieve.

lights-04.jpg
lights-04.jpg (101.21 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
I'm a writer who builds worlds with words, but now I can build pictures too!

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: Working with lights - or not

Post by Kyete » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:29 pm

The parentage is what’s tripping you up. Generally, an item can only interact with its parent and siblings.

So, when your light is in the corridor, it can interact with the corridor and the door on the corridor, but not the wall or the wall’s door because those are not in the same ”family”. When the light is on the canvas, it can interact with the wall and the wall door because the wall is also a child of the canvas, but it can’t be contained by the corridor.

I think the only way to get the effect would be to have the light as a child of the canvas and add extra walls on top of the corridor walls that are the same style (so they blend in exactly). You’ll probably have to draw the walls next to the corridor and then move them into place to make sure they are children of the canvas.

I know that this is very awkward, but we will be improving the light’s interaction with other objects in the future. Let us know if you have more questions!
-Katie