Erase funtion?

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

Fred

Erase funtion?

Post by Fred » Tue May 26, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi, is there an erase function in OWM?

I'm working on a map for my sword & sorcery RPG campaign and am using the maps of Africa and Eurasia as templates. I've imported the shape file from Natura Earth, selecet Africa nd Euransia, and created a new map from the selection. However, I want to erase the Arabian peninsula and Asia.

Being a newbie, I'm having some trouble with it. When I select the landmass, it selects everything and I know I can delete the selection points, but that is going to take a long time. Is there an erase tool, like in an image editor, that I could use?

Alternatively, is there a simpler way to do what I described?

One more thing: when I added the name of a country, it got blurred. Is that related to scale? How can I fix it?

Thanks and tchau!

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: Erase funtion?

Post by Kyete » Tue May 26, 2020 5:07 pm

Items like the landmasses are vector based, so an erase tool would be difficult to implement. I recommend using the Partition tool to cut off the areas that you want to get rid of and then delete the resulting fractures.

For the country name, what zoom level are you working at with the Label tool?
-Katie

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue May 26, 2020 5:48 pm

Is the Partition tool the same as the Subtract one? I used the latter after watching you most recent tutorial.

As for the zoom, I guess 100%. There isn't a zoom tool in the Label Properties box. It's weird, as soon as type enter after writing the name, it goes a little blurred. Here's a screen capture:
Captura de Tela 2020-05-26 às 18.45.57.png
Captura de Tela 2020-05-26 às 18.45.57.png (44.15 KiB) Viewed 5580 times
BTW, is there any way to increase the canvas size? My continents are bleeding through.

Thanks for the help!

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Wed May 27, 2020 12:17 pm

The Partition tool is the fourth tool on the tool panel and will break apart any closed path item, like a landmass or region. In your case, I think the subtract mode was the better option.

Sorry, I worded that confusingly. I meant the zoom level of the map. Labels can look blurry when zoomed in after they’re finished. That doesn’t look to be the case from your picture. What OS are you using? Can you send your map to us at info@threemindssoftware.com ?

If you go to Map->Setup, it’ll open up the general map option where you can change the width and height of your map.
-Katie

Fred

Post by Fred » Wed May 27, 2020 10:14 pm

I tested and when I create the label at 100%, it seems to work fine. If I do it at a greater zoom, it gets blurry.

I'm running OSX Yosemite (10.10.5). I'll send teh map to you.

Thanks for all the help! :]

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Fri May 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Thank you! We got your map and will be looking into the issue.

-Katie