Maps you've created

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

Pila

Maps you've created

Post by Pila » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:00 pm

The reason we're all here is because we like creating maps. While we wait for Other World Map to come out, I thought this might be a good forums to show some of the maps we've made, our methods, and maybe brainstorm features that might be cool o useful to have.

I started mapping relatively recently when I put together a D&D group and thought that maps might help immerse my players. While I know there's better programs out there, I personally find a lot of freedom in working with Microsoft Power Point. I've attached one of my regional maps and one of my town maps:

Big Mac

Re: Maps you've created

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:56 am

Pila wrote:While I know there's better programs out there, I personally find a lot of freedom in working with Microsoft Power Point.
Wow! How do you make maps with PowerPoint? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

Pila

Post by Pila » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:22 pm

Mainly through lots and lots of shapes and grouping/combining functions.

For example, if I want to make a forest, I'll use their existing cloud shape, color it green, and then copy it a bunch of times till I've outlined the region I want. Then I'll use the union function to make it one big shape. Then I can change the formatting to add a shadow around it to give it a little more depth.

If I want to make a mountain range, I just draw a couple of varieties of mountains with the curve tool, then copy then along the region I want, similar to how other world mapper will have object to use. Instead, I just draw the object, then I can copy it a bunch of times.

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Pila wrote:Mainly through lots and lots of shapes and grouping/combining functions.

For example, if I want to make a forest, I'll use their existing cloud shape, color it green, and then copy it a bunch of times till I've outlined the region I want. Then I'll use the union function to make it one big shape. Then I can change the formatting to add a shadow around it to give it a little more depth.

If I want to make a mountain range, I just draw a couple of varieties of mountains with the curve tool, then copy then along the region I want, similar to how other world mapper will have object to use. Instead, I just draw the object, then I can copy it a bunch of times.
Thanks. I never knew it did any of that.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:04 pm

(Move the topic to mapping, good idea to discuss maps you've already created :) )
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Vindictiel

Post by Vindictiel » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:21 pm

I'll share my personal map. I (slowly) made this in GIMP, and it is still a work in progress ... Those damn details slow me down.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_qhGl ... sp=sharing

Pila

Post by Pila » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:21 am

Wow, that looks really cool!

Sir Clarence

Post by Sir Clarence » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:40 am

Nice. Reminds a lot of Aereth from the DCC RPG in style.

Mighty Goblin

Post by Mighty Goblin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:22 pm

Handrawical map that is obviously influenced by old-school mapping. It is my quick take on HoDQ Egg Hatchery.

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:18 pm

Mighty Goblin,

I like it .. is this for a current adventure? Did you homebrew it?

Casey :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net