Automatic Grouping of Mountain/Terrain Type Features in to Chains

Archive of feature requests that were added to OWM

Moderator: Kyete

unklStewy

Automatic Grouping of Mountain/Terrain Type Features in to Chains

Post by unklStewy » Tue May 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Good Afternoon,

I have been having a lot of fun working with OWM and I was curious if there was a plan to allow auto grouping of terrain elements such as mountains and hills.

Casey A. :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Grouping of Mountain/Terrain Type Features in to Chains

Post by Kanchou » Mon May 11, 2015 9:01 pm

unklStewy wrote:Good Afternoon,

I have been having a lot of fun working with OWM and I was curious if there was a plan to allow auto grouping of terrain elements such as mountains and hills.

Casey A. :ugeek:
Casey,

We like the idea, the thing would be how to implement it.

Keep in mind that:
a. Right now you can select a group of items and select "group" to make them into a group, but that's done manually.
b. The Beta (maybe Alpha #2?) will have the option to create regions of features, that will auto-tile. Again, I know that's not quite what you have in mind.

Would it work by having a setting to auto group items under the same "category," or items have the same prefix for a name? The question is also how to move the individual mountains if you aren't happy with them.

We definitely welcome any ideas on this!

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:13 am

Kanchou,

I've been playing with the moutain tools some more and I think I might have a possible suggestion..

If you allow the mountain tool to work as a pen type (similar to to rivers and roads), or stamp type as it is now via a selection box (Radio or Checkbox) you could then autogroup the generated pentype chains along a curve or line object. Once the line is in place a mountain density setting could determine how many points to add to the line object and each point could be the indicated base of a mountain object. Then if a user wanted to adjust the individual mountains they could use the point editing tool.

All mountain objects along the curve/spline/line are a Mountain Chain Layer. By spacing the points using the point tool individual mountains could be added for effect and scale.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Casey :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:21 am

Additional Thoughts:

Similar to the way the randomness of the coast lines are fractal calculations you could apply a fractal algorithm to the size and scale of mountains along the path. If you allow for a sliding scale tool to set the frequency of the fractal additions the depicted mountains would probably appear more natural.
Just to spice things up a bit.

unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:38 pm

unklStewy wrote:Additional Thoughts:

Similar to the way the randomness of the coast lines are fractal calculations you could apply a fractal algorithm to the size and scale of mountains along the path. If you allow for a sliding scale tool to set the frequency of the fractal additions the depicted mountains would probably appear more natural.
Just to spice things up a bit.

Casey,

We really like where your idea is going. We're going to try to add it at the same time we add the functionality to create regions of symbols.

Thanks!!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software