Shoreline overrides

Archive of feature requests that were added to OWM

Moderator: Kyete

nDervish

Shoreline overrides

Post by nDervish » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:19 am

I really like the shoreline effects, but sometimes they're not entirely appropriate. Would it be possible to add a per-landmass override to turn them on/off? (Allowing a full override of all details of the shoreline effect seems like it would probably complicate the UI too much, but a simple "no shoreline effects" checkbox should be clear enough.)

The specific case I've run into for why I'd want this:

I'm working on a map which is a chunk of a destroyed planet, floating in space. There are oceans and (real) landmasses, so I've turned on the shoreline effects because they look right for those actual coastlines. But then it occurred to me that such a chunk of planet isn't likely to be square and may even have some holes in it, so I started drawing a "landmass" of a starry void around the edges... and it got the shoreline effect, too, which really doesn't look like it belongs there.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Shoreline overrides

Post by Kanchou » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:28 pm

nDervish wrote:I really like the shoreline effects, but sometimes they're not entirely appropriate. Would it be possible to add a per-landmass override to turn them on/off? (Allowing a full override of all details of the shoreline effect seems like it would probably complicate the UI too much, but a simple "no shoreline effects" checkbox should be clear enough.)

The specific case I've run into for why I'd want this:

I'm working on a map which is a chunk of a destroyed planet, floating in space. There are oceans and (real) landmasses, so I've turned on the shoreline effects because they look right for those actual coastlines. But then it occurred to me that such a chunk of planet isn't likely to be square and may even have some holes in it, so I started drawing a "landmass" of a starry void around the edges... and it got the shoreline effect, too, which really doesn't look like it belongs there.
Makes perfect sense. I added it to our feature requests for our next release.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software