Can Partition get the "Following" option?

Archive of feature requests that were added to OWM

Moderator: Kyete

outzenj

Can Partition get the "Following" option?

Post by outzenj » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:14 pm

I've not really paid any attention to the Partition tool before today, but just realized that it could be a really nice way to draw nations - draw a Landmass-wide Boundary, and then use Partition to split that Boundary into one Boundary per nation.

But many borders follow other features - rivers, lakes, cliffs, ridges, etc. If I can't cleanly follow these using the Partition tool, I'll have to spend time either redrawing the features to match the border, or fixing the Boundaries to match the features (which is slow and inexact, and doubly-so because I'd have to do it to both sides of the Partition).

My previous approach to drawing nations is to draw a Boundary one-at-a-time, relying on the Following option to line the edges up. But isn't always perfect, especially when multiple nations meet in a small area - I keep finding bits of land that are either outside all nations or in multiple. I'm hoping for an easier method.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Can Partition get the "Following" option?

Post by Kanchou » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:31 am

outzenj wrote:I've not really paid any attention to the Partition tool before today, but just realized that it could be a really nice way to draw nations - draw a Landmass-wide Boundary, and then use Partition to split that Boundary into one Boundary per nation.

But many borders follow other features - rivers, lakes, cliffs, ridges, etc. If I can't cleanly follow these using the Partition tool, I'll have to spend time either redrawing the features to match the border, or fixing the Boundaries to match the features (which is slow and inexact, and doubly-so because I'd have to do it to both sides of the Partition).

My previous approach to drawing nations is to draw a Boundary one-at-a-time, relying on the Following option to line the edges up. But isn't always perfect, especially when multiple nations meet in a small area - I keep finding bits of land that are either outside all nations or in multiple. I'm hoping for an easier method.
Excellent point, we didn't think about it before! We'll add this with our next release.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software