Organize Features by Tag / Will it break on update?

Archive of feature requests that were added to OWM

Moderator: Kyete

FoaS

Organize Features by Tag / Will it break on update?

Post by FoaS » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:05 am

Hey Guys,

I just spent about half an hour re-organizing the features that came with OWM. Reason being that I found it difficult to find the features that I wanted. For example, I needed a bunch of mountains. Well, There are some mountains that come with the base program, some that come with the Expansion Terrain, and even some that come with Expansion Scifi that could've worked for what I wanted. I finally had enough with pouring through four different lists that I had to keep in my head and decided to re-organize based on feature type rather than the expansion that it came with.

My question is two-fold: 1) Would it be possible to add a organize-by-tag feature so that I can go through and tag everything that is a mountain of a certain style that I define? Beats the hell out of a nested-tree structure, if you ask me, because that means that features can have multiple tags and exist in more than one "list"
2) Will my custom organizational structure get overriden/break when I update the program since I changed the file structure?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Organize Features by Tag / Will it break on update?

Post by Kanchou » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:22 pm

FoaS wrote:1) Would it be possible to add a organize-by-tag feature so that I can go through and tag everything that is a mountain of a certain style that I define? Beats the hell out of a nested-tree structure, if you ask me, because that means that features can have multiple tags and exist in more than one "list"
We are planning something similar to this in the future. Also adding a search.
FoaS wrote: 2)Will my custom organizational structure get overriden/break when I update the program since I changed the file structure?
If you copy them to a new folder with a different name, it won't because OWM doesn't delete your custom sets. If you kept the same name for the set, then it will get overwritten. There are a couple of issues with doing what you did:

1. If you share your map with a friend or others that have OWM, OWM won't be able to find the symbols because they are in a different relative path.
2. If we updated a set with more colors or fix a bug with a feature, you won't get the update.

One better alternative until we do a tag system is to create your own feature lists from "Lists" tab in the feature properties. For instance, you could create a list that is "Mountains" that contains all mountains, another that is "Trees" and so on.

Let me know what you think. Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software