Preview mode vs Rendered mode (and other speedups)

Archive of feature requests that were added to OWM

Moderator: Kyete

FoaS

Preview mode vs Rendered mode (and other speedups)

Post by FoaS » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:19 pm

I'm working on a very substantial map (48 inches by 24 inches in size). Clearly this is nothing too fun to work on when everything is getting rasterized at every go. I'm wondering if it's possible to have a Preview mode where things aren't drawn with the same detail and blending effects as you get when you're in a full render mode.

Also, I have a large background image that I'm using for reference, which I have to constantly change the scale and offset for in order to have the underlay that I'm looking for. One thing that I've noticed is that the system is re-rendering everything when a value is changed, as opposed to when a value is committed. For example, if I want to change the offset of the background to "-700", well, I clear the input and type that in, but the system will re-render everything as soon as I enter "-7" re-render again as though the value was "-70" and then finally re-render again at "-700" - a "Debounce" or something similar would be very helpful on numeric inputs on things like this so I don't have to wait for a long while for the program to render multiple times during input.

FoaS

Re: Preview mode vs Rendered mode (and other speedups)

Post by FoaS » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:28 pm

Slightly related: I know you have a layer system that allows you to toggle visibility of a layer, but being able to freeze a layer would also be very helpful.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:34 am

FoaS wrote:I'm working on a very substantial map (48 inches by 24 inches in size). Clearly this is nothing too fun to work on when everything is getting rasterized at every go. I'm wondering if it's possible to have a Preview mode where things aren't drawn with the same detail and blending effects as you get when you're in a full render mode.
Changing the Preview Mode to low quality should help, but we like your idea of having a mode where blending effects are disabled. We'll look into it, thank you!
FoaS wrote: Also, I have a large background image that I'm using for reference, which I have to constantly change the scale and offset for in order to have the underlay that I'm looking for. One thing that I've noticed is that the system is re-rendering everything when a value is changed, as opposed to when a value is committed. For example, if I want to change the offset of the background to "-700", well, I clear the input and type that in, but the system will re-render everything as soon as I enter "-7" re-render again as though the value was "-70" and then finally re-render again at "-700" - a "Debounce" or something similar would be very helpful on numeric inputs on things like this so I don't have to wait for a long while for the program to render multiple times during input.
Good point. We'll look into, thank you!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:34 am

FoaS wrote:Slightly related: I know you have a layer system that allows you to toggle visibility of a layer, but being able to freeze a layer would also be very helpful.
The current release lets you lock the layer from moving and the next will also add property lock.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software