Ability to transfer Building Tool (maybe even other things?) into features please.

Archive of feature requests that were added to OWM

Moderator: Kyete

user_nh

Ability to transfer Building Tool (maybe even other things?) into features please.

Post by user_nh » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:48 am

Hello again. As you may or may not know from other threads, I'm currently working on a large capital city with the city tools from OWM.

However, there is a bit of an ease of use issue. Buildings. Making one is easy enough, making hundreds is tedious and hard... Especially if you want them to be the same size, or turn them, or add to them or do any of the things you might want to do with buildings in a large city without resorting to just representing a building area with a zone or something (it looks shitty...). Copy pasting is especially annoying as it doesn't paste where your cursor is (unless you rightclick and use the menu).

I lamented this to a friend and as he does, he went to paint and by taking & modifying (basically cutting out one of the buldings) from one of my screenshots he did awesome custom things for me whcih I just added to the features folder of my choice and voila, I could just clickstamp exactly where I want the buildings to be.
Even better, now I can use the Feature Tool's Tile or other 'spreading' subtools for villages or other less organised areas that have to be made in the future, removing a LOT of the work.

Ahem. Long story short / the actual feature request, would it be possible to transfer at least buildings (but hey, anything could be reasonably stamped as well!) to the Feature Tool, built into OWM itself so people without photoshop skills can have stampable things of joy?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Ability to transfer Building Tool (maybe even other things?) into features please.

Post by Kanchou » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:37 pm

user_nh wrote:Hello again. As you may or may not know from other threads, I'm currently working on a large capital city with the city tools from OWM.

However, there is a bit of an ease of use issue. Buildings. Making one is easy enough, making hundreds is tedious and hard... Especially if you want them to be the same size, or turn them, or add to them or do any of the things you might want to do with buildings in a large city without resorting to just representing a building area with a zone or something (it looks shitty...). Copy pasting is especially annoying as it doesn't paste where your cursor is (unless you rightclick and use the menu).

I lamented this to a friend and as he does, he went to paint and by taking & modifying (basically cutting out one of the buldings) from one of my screenshots he did awesome custom things for me whcih I just added to the features folder of my choice and voila, I could just clickstamp exactly where I want the buildings to be.
Even better, now I can use the Feature Tool's Tile or other 'spreading' subtools for villages or other less organised areas that have to be made in the future, removing a LOT of the work.

Ahem. Long story short / the actual feature request, would it be possible to transfer at least buildings (but hey, anything could be reasonably stamped as well!) to the Feature Tool, built into OWM itself so people without photoshop skills can have stampable things of joy?
As with the other post, awesome feedback. Thank you!!

Your request wouldn't be hard to implement, but I'm thinking the building UI should be improved based on your feedback. I'll run this with the rest of the team to see what they think.

On a side note, you could add features as buildings that you get elsewhere (I know there are art packs, etc. with symbols of the sort). We actually have a set of building features/symbols that our main artist did for us that we didn't include with OWM because of the ability to create custom buildings.

I'll write back later this week once we've given this some thought. Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

user_nh

Re: Ability to transfer Building Tool (maybe even other things?) into features please.

Post by user_nh » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:57 pm

Oh wow, I didn't think such a large change would still be possible at this point - wish I had said something earlier now, it was a big disappointment for me when city tools were first implemented and I saw the issues. Oh well.

But yeah, doing the whole drag and size thing and then correct etc. over a 1000 times (not kidding) is not fun, so would definitely love any kind of improvement on that!
I know I can add features from other sources, but then it doesn't look... hm... clean enough? The same? Something like that. It should look like it all fits together, after all, and that's difficult to achieve once you start using custom stuff from different places (and no single place will have everything I need for different roleplaying campaigns & different genres). But thank you for the heads up anyway, maybe it will help someone else reading this! :)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:50 pm

user_nh wrote:Oh wow, I didn't think such a large change would still be possible at this point - wish I had said something earlier now, it was a big disappointment for me when city tools were first implemented and I saw the issues. Oh well.

But yeah, doing the whole drag and size thing and then correct etc. over a 1000 times (not kidding) is not fun, so would definitely love any kind of improvement on that!
I know I can add features from other sources, but then it doesn't look... hm... clean enough? The same? Something like that. It should look like it all fits together, after all, and that's difficult to achieve once you start using custom stuff from different places (and no single place will have everything I need for different roleplaying campaigns & different genres). But thank you for the heads up anyway, maybe it will help someone else reading this! :)
For reference, we consider the overland tools to be at "release level," the dungeon/battlemap tools at "late beta" and the city tools in "early beta."

So, definitely lots of room for changes with the city tools and additions, which is why your feedback is so valuable. In general, there really won't be a "hard stop" for development in everything goes okay and our plan is to continue adding functionality past V1.0.

If there is any other changes/functionality you want to suggest for the city tools (or OWM in general) please do :). Definitely welcome the feedback!

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Hello!

With V0.9.3 we added the ability to have "fixed size" buildings (and did the same thing for rooms, structures, etc). Also added the option to export a selection as a png.

Let us know what you think and if you have more great feedback/requests! :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

user_nh

Post by user_nh » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Great solution, I've already played around with it. This makes it much easier to both just do the buildings within owm or export as you see fit! :)