Layer Group Folders

Archive of feature requests that were added to OWM

Moderator: Kyete

Mindfire

Layer Group Folders

Post by Mindfire » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:08 am

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to group landmasses into folders to streamlined the layers window and keep it from being cluttered? (E.g. multiple islands grouped into a named archipelago folder so all 15 landmasses aren't listed individually.) If so, I can't seem to figure out how. If not, it could be a useful feature to add.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Layer Group Folders

Post by Kanchou » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:48 am

Mindfire wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to group landmasses into folders to streamlined the layers window and keep it from being cluttered? (E.g. multiple islands grouped into a named archipelago folder so all 15 landmasses aren't listed individually.) If so, I can't seem to figure out how. If not, it could be a useful feature to add.
It's actually a very good point.

a) You can group the landmasses via the "group" edit menu but they still show up as individual items in the layers window. We can look into showing grouped items as one in the layers window.
b) You can permanently merge the archipelago into a single landmass using the "merge" menu (but of course at that point properties apply to all of them together since they are "one").

There was another request to have a sort of archipelago tool to generate islands inside an area (instead of having to do them all individually). We could probably combine that request and this one into having a new tool/mode for the landmass tool so you could still move around individual islands inside the archipelago but in all other regards the archipelago is considered "one"
I'll add this into the list of functionality to add after the first backer release.

For now I suggest you do b). Another thing that will help there is we will add down the road the ability to select multiple points when in point edit mode, so once you merge the islands you could select all the points for one of them and move it that way.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Mindfire

Post by Mindfire » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:27 am

Kanchou wrote:
Mindfire wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to group landmasses into folders to streamlined the layers window and keep it from being cluttered? (E.g. multiple islands grouped into a named archipelago folder so all 15 landmasses aren't listed individually.) If so, I can't seem to figure out how. If not, it could be a useful feature to add.
It's actually a very good point.

a) You can group the landmasses via the "group" edit menu but they still show up as individual items in the layers window. We can look into showing grouped items as one in the layers window.
b) You can permanently merge the archipelago into a single landmass using the "merge" menu (but of course at that point properties apply to all of them together since they are "one").

There was another request to have a sort of archipelago tool to generate islands inside an area (instead of having to do them all individually). We could probably combine that request and this one into having a new tool/mode for the landmass tool so you could still move around individual islands inside the archipelago but in all other regards the archipelago is considered "one"
I'll add this into the list of functionality to add after the first backer release.

For now I suggest you do b). Another thing that will help there is we will add down the road the ability to select multiple points when in point edit mode, so once you merge the islands you could select all the points for one of them and move it that way.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
No problem. Something else that just occurred to me is that it would be nice to change the order in which landmasses appear in the layers list, just as an organizational tool. It's a (relatively) small issue, but it would be helpful. Again, maybe this is something you can do and I just haven't figured it out yet, but I thought I'd mention it.

Mindfire

Post by Mindfire » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:51 am

By the way, I'd just like to say that this is an awesome tool. It's allowed me to do in minutes and hours what used to take me days and weeks with my pitiful Photoshop skills. You guys have done good work!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:01 am

Mindfire wrote:By the way, I'd just like to say that this is an awesome tool. It's allowed me to do in minutes and hours what used to take me days and weeks with my pitiful Photoshop skills. You guys have done good work!
That was exactly our objective making Other World Mapper so we are very happy to hear that!!
Mindfire wrote:No problem. Something else that just occurred to me is that it would be nice to change the order in which landmasses appear in the layers list, just as an organizational tool. It's a (relatively) small issue, but it would be helpful. Again, maybe this is something you can do and I just haven't figured it out yet, but I thought I'd mention it.
The layer order for the landmasses is the "z-order" (this is also the case for "child items"). You can "send backward" or "bring forward" the landmass via the edit menu.
Also, right now it's only working for "child items" but you can drag a layer up and down in the layers window to change its z-order (landmasses will let you do that with the next release).

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software