Problems with Projections

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

stefanstr

Problems with Projections

Post by stefanstr » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:06 pm

I have just joined the Beta program and my first impressions are very positive. As is to be expected, I have discovered a bug, though.

I am usually working on world maps, so projections are the first thing I started to test out. What I have discovered: any polar landmasses drawn in the Mercator Transverse or Azimuthal projections get terribly disfigured when moving back to the Equirectangular projection.

Case in point:

Mercator Transverse:

Converted to Equirectangular becomes this:

Notice that only the polar area has the problem. This seems to be consistent behavior across my tests. Please fix: I need my polar continents!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Projections

Post by Kanchou » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:31 pm

stefanstr wrote: Notice that only the polar area has the problem. This seems to be consistent behavior across my tests. Please fix: I need my polar continents!
That was fast!! I'm in the process of updating our known issues list :)

Yes the "infinite projections" (Transverse and the Azimuthals ) have a bug reversing polar areas. The fix didn't make it to Alpha 3 and we had to release ;).

You can still use it for reference, but modifying the Equirectangular/Robinson/etc projection and see how it looks in transverse (forward transform works fine).

Edit: but for that you would have to create the original map in the Equirectangular/Robinson/ etc projection, then see how it looks in transverse. In any case, the next version will fix that :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:47 pm

Thanks!

If I understand you correctly, it is likely to be fixed in the next version?

Edit: ninja’d. :)

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:43 pm

The problems with transverse Mercator are still not fixed, I am afraid.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:27 pm

stefanstr wrote:The problems with transverse Mercator are still not fixed, I am afraid.
Sadly I wasn't able to properly test my projection changes so I had to leave them out of the release. It was already running really late and we just had to release.

Good news is we are spending January fixing existing (and new from Beta) bugs and finishing partially implemented features, so hopefully the next release will get fully functional projections.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:47 pm

Stefan,

Still not fixed with Beta 2...other issues took priority, but it should be the first thing we work on towards beta 3.

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:47 am

Kanchou wrote:Stefan,

Still not fixed with Beta 2...other issues took priority, but it should be the first thing we work on towards beta 3.

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Thanks Alejandro. I guess I will wait for beta 3 then. :)