River issues

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

lauraoliva

River issues

Post by lauraoliva » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:58 am

While recreating the map of Valshan, I began working on adding bodies of water and rivers. The 2 rivers I added to Shalim came out as expected. When I tried to add more complex rivers in Faeres, however, upon reaching the point where the river meets the sea, one of 3 things happened: the delta was created and cut away the coastal mass (intended outcome?), right-clicking a point near the sea to finish the river resulted in the entire river disappearing (right-clicking was one way I completed a river in Shalim), the entire landmass boundary shifted into a line to the river's end point.

I have sent screenshots and the .own file.

lauraoliva

Re: River issues

Post by lauraoliva » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:19 am

I did more work with the River tool. When I unchecked the Delta option, the shifting shoreline problem seemed to go away.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:54 pm

The river delta option is meant to alter the landmass outline to give the effect of the river emptying into the ocean. At the moment there's only one option, on or off, but in the future we plan to add options for different kinds of delta.

The other two effects you mentioned are bugs. I looked into them and the river disappearing actually seems to be connected to the merge option. The one where it's chopping off the landmass is a bug with the delta. We'll try to have them fixed for alpha 3 release. Thanks again for the help!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:48 pm

lauraoliva wrote:I did more work with the River tool. When I unchecked the Delta option, the shifting shoreline problem seemed to go away.
Laura,

River is the one tool for overland maps that is still in pre-alpha stages. We plan to add a lot more complexity/features to rivers by Beta 2.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software