Removal of Path Points

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

Lubrol88800

Removal of Path Points

Post by Lubrol88800 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:43 pm

I am getting constant "Other World Mapper Has Stopped Working" messages when I try to delete Path Points. This make sit difficult to modify the outlines of land masses (and I would assume other features). Sometimes Windows will reload the program and sometimes not. I find that even with 232 GD of memory I can;t have anything else running in the background or the error condition is raised more frequently.

Also, I can't tell, but it seems almost as if trying to remove Path Points is actually adding them at this point. I know the vector outline has a large number but the tiny section I've been working on has been getting thicker/wider as I remove points. This doesn't seem quite correct. I even removed the landmass to another file to keep the size to a minimum. The problem area is to the left of the red feature (just a marker.) I've emailed the file as I can't get the board to accept it as an attachment.
'God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh'
Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Removal of Path Points

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:27 pm

We've been looking into the problem deleting points. It only happens with shapes that have a very very large number of points. One thing we noticed (and I was telling Casey in the other thread) is that the continent is being created with a very high fractal factor yet having "click points"/control points very close to each other. That's partly because our default setting for the fractal factor is really high if you are adding points really close to each other.
The effect is that you have many points that are virtual overlaps so they don't really add to the description of the shape, they just slow down calculations.

For now, we are reducing the default fractal factor to a lower number (you can still set it to higher in the pen settings). Long term we are trying to think of a way to auto simplify redundant points, or have a setting to automatically set the fractal factor based on the distance between points.

(0.7.2 runs a lot faster already, even with the maps with very large number of points per shape.)

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software