Multiple Land Masses

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

Lubrol88800

Multiple Land Masses

Post by Lubrol88800 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:51 pm

While creating the base global map of my world I have inserted 25 land masses: the file is not over 5 MB in size and OWM becomes extremely slow and frequently freezes and shows a plain black canvas. Deselecting layer does not help, or not very much.

Second issue: when attempting to use a bitmap in the landmass properties, the default is PNG and the shows ".png" in the file name box instead of *.png.
Clipboard01-png.jpg
Clipboard01-png.jpg (227.03 KiB) Viewed 8427 times
It still works, though. However, changing the drop down to JPG does not replace the ".png" in the file name box.
Clipboard02-JPG.jpg
Clipboard02-JPG.jpg (216.33 KiB) Viewed 8427 times
Nor any of the other options. Easily fixed, but annoying.

Also, I can not find vector drawing tools, only bitmap drawing: a little confusing as I'm not sure is that is for a future release based on the users guide PDF.
'God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh'
Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Land Masses

Post by Kanchou » Sun May 31, 2015 10:14 am

About the two issues:
* Thank you for catching the file selection bug! We'll add it to the list of issues.

* We improved performance quite a bit since the alpha release. Those changes will be part of the second alpha release to come within the next few weeks. Can you send us your map/project file so that we can run with our current build and compare it with the alpha build?
If that's okay with you, you can email it to: acanosa@threemindssoftware.com

A couple of notes:
* All the current tools are vector based tools (landmasses, rivers, roads, etc). There is a raster layer on top (fade effects, anti-aliasing, etc) but the underlying shape is a vector (so you can scale, modify, etc).

* The file is less than 5 MB because the OWM format only stores vector data. The rasterized file you see real time is much larger.

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Lubrol88800

Post by Lubrol88800 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:03 pm

Alejandro;

I've no issue with sharing the map. I'll send it along via email.

Ok, on the vector, etc. It must be that the manual could use a little more clarity. I can read through the spelling/grammar errors - I do it routinely in technical papers I read. ;)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:24 am

(I wrote you an email back, but to close the loop here too):

Our current build doesn’t crawl like the alpha release with your map, which is really good news.

For the current alpha release if you disable the “shoreline” option for the map you’ll notice it runs a lot faster (though still a little sluggish in an older PC), but should at least let you continue working on your map.

We’re working to have a second alpha release fixing most of the bugs and performance issues before the end of June.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Lubrol88800

Post by Lubrol88800 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:57 pm

Alejandro;

Disabling the shorelines certainly speeds things up, I can actually have both hemispheres open at once.

A couple of observations:
1) when you collapse the Properties palettes, the scroll bar remains showing things which are below the displayed window: which is
not the case.
dialogs.jpg
dialogs.jpg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
2) As you can tell, the two maps I've started with are the entire globe. It would be very useful to have a circle tool so that the edges of the globe can be shown. My intention would be to use the "link tool" on each land mass to pull in the plain view of each landmass. Not having the circle representing the edge of the world it a bit annoying as it mean I need to keep the image in place or things look very strange.

3) While it is possible to not 'show" an image there is no apparent way to remove it obvious way to remove the image.

4) I realize the software is not going to be able to do equiareal or mercator projections but having some predefined page layouts which mimicked those could be helpful; the current method of scaling pages is awkward at best.

5) a "centering" feature: horizontal, vertical or both relative to a page would be very convenient. It's so easy to get of centered and trying to manually center things is tough.

Please, don't take this are complaints: the program works remarkably well for a 0.7 alpha release.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:16 am

Lubrol88800 wrote:Please, don't take this are complaints: the program works remarkably well for a 0.7 alpha release.
We very much appreciate all your help catching issues and giving suggestions!! The earlier we can identify these issues, the easier things will be down the road, so please keep at it :)
Lubrol88800 wrote: When you collapse the Properties palettes, the scroll bar remains showing things which are below the displayed window: which is
not the case.
Yep, that's a bug. I'm adding it to our tracking database.
Lubrol88800 wrote: While it is possible to not 'show" an image there is no apparent way to remove it obvious way to remove the image.
Somewhere in between a bug and a missing feature. Either way, there needs to be a way to clear it completely as you suggest. It's been added to the tracking list.

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software