Slam! Crash! Error Part 2

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

Mark Oliva

Slam! Crash! Error Part 2

Post by Mark Oliva » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Things are getting interesting! Instead of Too many profiles, this one's showing up now too!
Attachments
error2.jpg
error2.jpg (13.11 KiB) Viewed 8404 times
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri™ Project
https://www.vintyri.org
info@vintyri.org

Mark Oliva

Re: Slam! Crash! Error Part 2

Post by Mark Oliva » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:35 pm

I've been trying to track down the cause of these error messages. Individual JPGs seem to cause them. I'm attaching one that does it every time here with OWM, even though other programs have no problem with it. The problem occurs when one in OWM opens the folder (directory) that contains the PNG. Other programs have no problems with this PNG.

Servus,
Attachments
shipwreck05.png
shipwreck05.png (421.85 KiB) Viewed 8402 times
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri™ Project
info@vintyri.org

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Thank you so much for the report and sorry for the slow replies (yes, regression testing :D).

Those errors are from improperly formatted png headers. libpng is extremely picky about it, and we use it Linux and Mac, and partially in Windows.

It shouldn't cause a crash, but it's possible it's confusing libpng (we'll investigate with the file you provided). We are stripping those errors from our custom build of libpng, so they shouldn't be there going forward. Hopefully we can solve the crash too.

FYI, anyone using those assets in a program that uses the OS's libpng in Linux (and not a custom build) will get those errors.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Mark Oliva

Post by Mark Oliva » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:09 am

Kanchou wrote:Those errors are from improperly formatted png headers. libpng is extremely picky about it, and we use it Linux and Mac, and partially in Windows.

It shouldn't cause a crash, but it's possible it's confusing libpng (we'll investigate with the file you provided). We are stripping those errors from our custom build of libpng, so they shouldn't be there going forward. Hopefully we can solve the crash too.
I would say that libpng is a bit too finicky, when one considers that the files read fine everywhere else. Be that as it may ...

The problem is easy to fix. One need only load the offending PNG in The GIMP and export it as a new PNG. That ends the problem.

Unfortunately, finding the offending PNG file is a needle-in-the-haystack operation,when one considers that Volume 2 of the Dundjinni Archives contains 2+ GB of PNGs.

Servus,
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri™ Project
info@vintyri.org

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Mark Oliva wrote: I would say that libpng is a bit too finicky, when one considers that the files read fine everywhere else. Be that as it may ...
Agreed, I found it very annoying too.
Mark Oliva wrote: The problem is easy to fix. One need only load the offending PNG in The GIMP and export it as a new PNG. That ends the problem.

Unfortunately, finding the offending PNG file is a needle-in-the-haystack operation,when one considers that Volume 2 of the Dundjinni Archives contains 2+ GB of PNGs.
Servus,
I confirmed with the png you attached that our current release candidate under test has no crashes or warnings. It should be out Tuesday.

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Mark Oliva

Post by Mark Oliva » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:00 am

Kanchou wrote:I confirmed with the png you attached that our current release candidate under test has no crashes or warnings. It should be out Tuesday.
Sounds good!

Servus,
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri™ Project
info@vintyri.org