Creating a landmass with too many control points (and adding to it) removes all the control points

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

user_nh

Creating a landmass with too many control points (and adding to it) removes all the control points

Post by user_nh » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:42 am

System
Windows 10 Home
Inel Core i7-6700
16gb ram
64 bit

Version 0.8.4, Map setup 9000 by 9000 pixels

Savefile 1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrosn4nlynmv6 ... 1.owm?dl=0

Savefile 2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdaw04inc7mh3 ... 2.owm?dl=0

Images

Plain map comparison with the 'hole'

Control points view

So as one can maybe see I use a lot of control points creating a landmass (and keep adding to it and then 'closing' it at the bottom so that it finishes the added landmass part and I can save my progress). At some point when I try to do the closing part (moving the cursor down to the bottom straigt-ish part etc.) it creates a hole inside of the landmass. Curious as it probably shouldn't be created if I'm thinking correctly, but fine. As soon as that happens though, all remaining control points except one completely disappear from the landmass, making it effectively nonexistant. You can't add or subtract from the landmass afterwards, progress is impossible.

So either its an issue with the amount of control points the program can handle or a combination of map setup size and control points or... something? This isn't even 1/8th of the final landmass (as probably indicated by the map size) so, you're my only hope?

Oh, please note that this is the third or maybe fourth 'added' part to the landmass where this happens, in case it matters.

In any case, hope this helps.

smithy

Re: Creating a landmass with too many control points (and adding to it) removes all the control points

Post by smithy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:23 am

This might not be any help, Kanchou will sort you for that, but if you have a straight edge at bottom you should only need 2 control points - far left and far right with straight line in between? This would reduce the number for a start.

user_nh

Re: Creating a landmass with too many control points (and adding to it) removes all the control points

Post by user_nh » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:27 am

True, that will probably help a little, I didn't notice you could 'switch' drawing mode (fractal to line) mid-drawing.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:36 pm

Hello,

This ties into an issue we've been working on. When you add to an item, the program takes the new path and closes it with a straight line and then merges it with the existing item. If there's a dip in the existing item's outline past the new path's straight line, then the merge can leave a 'hole' in the end product. As you saw, this 'hole' causes problems when the program adds the control points.

For the time being, try bringing the last point of the new path farther into the existing landmass. Around here should do it:

Thanks for the help!
Katie

user_nh

Post by user_nh » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Fascinating - and I can definitely confirm that it happens with less control points as well, so yeah, the 'hole' is the issue.

Thank you! :)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:56 pm

Just wanted to point out from testing the map, that you most likely want to keep the shoreline turned off until you are ready to export your map. One of the Beta known/standing issues is that the shorelines really drag down OWM's performance.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software