Exporting map to png creates 0 byte file Beta 4

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

Tigrestripe

Exporting map to png creates 0 byte file Beta 4

Post by Tigrestripe » Thu May 12, 2016 8:11 am

Greetings.

I first checked to see if this was the previous problem with png export in one of the posts below but
does not appear to be. I've change the PNG to png, left just the file name with no extension added,
letting OWM add it.

It goes through the process, the render and then output messages happen very quickly. This didn't happen with
beta 3 where there was no problem exporting to png. None of the other export formats are affected
as I was able to do the same map and other test ones just fine.

It does create a file but it's zero byte.

No other applications I have that work with png files have any problems.

Tigrestripe
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 Pro X64, Intel 2600k 16Gb Ram, Powercolor Radeon HD6850 1Gb

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Exporting map to png creates 0 byte file Beta 4

Post by Kanchou » Thu May 12, 2016 8:18 am

Hello!,

I can't seem to make it happen with Windows 7. Does it happen if you just create a map at default size and export it as png?

What's the pixel size of the map you are trying to export?

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Tigrestripe

Post by Tigrestripe » Thu May 12, 2016 8:12 pm

Greetings Alejandro,

Two of them are at 3750 X 2500 which is what the maps default at when I create one. I've
boosted the current one to 9000 X 6000 and tried that but same result. I tried 12000 X 8000,
same result. I have also tried as multiple files but each of the files were zero byte.

Is there something else I should try?

Tigrestripe
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 Pro X64, Intel 2600k 16Gb Ram, Powercolor Radeon HD6850 1Gb

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri May 13, 2016 10:08 am

Tigrestripe wrote:Greetings Alejandro,

Two of them are at 3750 X 2500 which is what the maps default at when I create one. I've
boosted the current one to 9000 X 6000 and tried that but same result. I tried 12000 X 8000,
same result. I have also tried as multiple files but each of the files were zero byte.

Is there something else I should try?
Hello!

We haven't been able to reproduce the issue on Windows 10, 64 bit either, so we are doing some further research. The png export is done via native support (via Windows) so there could have been a Windows update that changed its behavior? We're looking into that possibility.

The only thing left for you to try that I can think of:

* If you haven't already, can you export an "empty" map - that is just do a new map at default size and export it as a png? Does that work?
That would tell us if the problem is the actual png encoder or something in the rendering.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Tigrestripe

Post by Tigrestripe » Fri May 13, 2016 8:22 pm

That didn't work as well. Is there a way I can check my installation of the png encoder?

Tigrestripe

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri May 13, 2016 8:28 pm

Tigrestripe wrote:That didn't work as well. Is there a way I can check my installation of the png encoder?

Tigrestripe
I'm pretty sure it would be a bug in Other World Mapper and not anything "wrong" with your PC since those encoders are part of a core Windows library that should be there always.

What's odd is that the same library provides the jpeg, TIFF and bmp encoding (which seem to be working). It must be a bug that doesn't show up in all systems. We're going to reach out to other Beta Win 10 users and setup some more PC to see if we can reproduce it.

I'll let you know if we can think of something more for you to check

Thank you for your help!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Tigrestripe

Post by Tigrestripe » Fri May 13, 2016 9:05 pm

Right oh! Happy to assist.

I don't know if it's connected but I'll mention that Microsoft Edge is not working for me at the moment and I'll have
to re-install/repair it. I don't use it much and I can't remember if it started playing up at the same. I wouldn't think
so but the devil could be in the details.

My Windows 10 Pro X64 is Build: 10.0.10586 Build 10586

If the png encoder is part of a core windows library then listing all the applications I have or use that works with
png is probably not helpful but if you think it is let me know.

Sorry to put you to the trouble if I'm the only one that has the trouble but many thanks.

Tigrestripe

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri May 13, 2016 11:12 pm

Tigrestripe wrote:Right oh! Happy to assist.

I don't know if it's connected but I'll mention that Microsoft Edge is not working for me at the moment and I'll have
to re-install/repair it. I don't use it much and I can't remember if it started playing up at the same. I wouldn't think
so but the devil could be in the details.

My Windows 10 Pro X64 is Build: 10.0.10586 Build 10586

If the png encoder is part of a core windows library then listing all the applications I have or use that works with
png is probably not helpful but if you think it is let me know.

Sorry to put you to the trouble if I'm the only one that has the trouble but many thanks.

Tigrestripe
No problem! And I think that could be it since Edge/IE probably uses those encoders too (Chrome and Firefox use their own I believe). I sent you a PM also.

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software