Unexplained hard crash

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

efremj

Unexplained hard crash

Post by efremj » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:59 pm

Good evening!

Tonight I was working on a map and used one of the "Simple Fantasy" objects (the tall grass/marsh tile) to insert into a map. I decided to make a few individual instances of elements of that object in Photoshop and followed the other examples (saved as .png, saved same res as original, etc. etc. etc.).

When I went back into the map later in the evening, every time I selected the object to move it OWM would crash hard. I tried selected it four different ways and all crash the app.

Here are a couple of screen shots of the error code:

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Unexplained hard crash

Post by Kanchou » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:03 pm

efremj wrote:Good evening!

Tonight I was working on a map and used one of the "Simple Fantasy" objects (the tall grass/marsh tile) to insert into a map. I decided to make a few individual instances of elements of that object in Photoshop and followed the other examples (saved as .png, saved same res as original, etc. etc. etc.).

When I went back into the map later in the evening, every time I selected the object to move it OWM would crash hard. I tried selected it four different ways and all crash the app.
Can you send me the map and the png that you made to give it a try?

Thanks!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

efremj

Post by efremj » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi Alejandro,

I wound up using the tool to highlight that whole section--marsh, lake, rivers, grass, and just deleting it and recreating it. It was so bad that I couldn't touch any of the terrain in that area without the program crashing and I really wanted to make progress on the map.

Having recreated that whole region seems to have fixed the problem and the map hasn't crashed since.

-Efrem

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:06 pm

efremj wrote:Hi Alejandro,

I wound up using the tool to highlight that whole section--marsh, lake, rivers, grass, and just deleting it and recreating it. It was so bad that I couldn't touch any of the terrain in that area without the program crashing and I really wanted to make progress on the map.

Having recreated that whole region seems to have fixed the problem and the map hasn't crashed since.

-Efrem
If you see it again, send the map our way. We'll spend some time during regression testing trying to reproduce it.

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kulvar

Post by Kulvar » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:39 am

Evening fellows.

I'm having the same issue, though it seems to be localized to whenever I select a specific Feature (Simple Fantasy -> Structures -> Castle2). I've not removed the features to see if that fixes the issue, but that'll be my next step. Before I do that, where should I send the map so it can be analyzed and the bug fixed in future releases?

- Mike

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:00 am

Kulvar wrote:Evening fellows.

I'm having the same issue, though it seems to be localized to whenever I select a specific Feature (Simple Fantasy -> Structures -> Castle2). I've not removed the features to see if that fixes the issue, but that'll be my next step. Before I do that, where should I send the map so it can be analyzed and the bug fixed in future releases?

- Mike
Mike,

Please email it to me to acanosa@threemindssoftware.com

Thank you!!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi,

Found the problem. When loading a map, it was finding the wrong category index. So, when the properties dialog updated to show that feature's properties, the index was out of scope. Since the Simple Fantasy art set has so few categories, it was more likely with features from that set.

The problem has been fixed for Beta 4 and you'll be able to load any currently afflicted map without issue. If you want to edit the properties of one of the features in the meantime, you can place a different feature next to it and use box select to select them both at the same time. That will keep the feature list in the properties from updating so you can change the properties, move or delete it.

Thanks for all the help!
-Katie

amend

Post by amend » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Came here to report this bug. Good job community. :)