Memory Leak when merging paths

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

orangebug

Memory Leak when merging paths

Post by orangebug » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (100.1 KiB) Viewed 11607 times
I was attempting to run a union operation on 2 closed areas, and it was hanging. The first few times it crashed I was attempting to join a polygon with a circle, so I thought it might have been that, but then it started hanging on all merge operations. I let it run it's course (instead of just ending the process early so I could restart and continue working), and OWM threw an out of memory error. Which is totally weird because I have 32GB of RAM in this system, so I was able to grab the above screenshot of it happily maxing out my RAM in a few seconds.
System Info:
CPU: i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32GB
GPU: AMD RX 480

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Memory Leak when merging paths

Post by Kanchou » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:37 pm

orangebug wrote:
Capture2.JPG
I was attempting to run a union operation on 2 closed areas, and it was hanging. The first few times it crashed I was attempting to join a polygon with a circle, so I thought it might have been that, but then it started hanging on all merge operations. I let it run it's course (instead of just ending the process early so I could restart and continue working), and OWM threw an out of memory error. Which is totally weird because I have 32GB of RAM in this system, so I was able to grab the above screenshot of it happily maxing out my RAM in a few seconds.
Another good catch. Thank you!

Can you send me the offending map so one of us can look at it? acanosa@threemindssoftware.com. Hopefully we can address it with Beta 3.

Thank you again!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

orangebug

Post by orangebug » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:43 pm

Sent.
System Info:

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:46 pm

orangebug wrote:Sent.
Got it. Thanks! :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

orangebug

Post by orangebug » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:48 pm

FYI, I'm getting the same memory leak on my Surface Pro 4 with the same map file (though a little faster with only 8GB of RAM). On both of my computers, I'm unable to replicated the issue running merge operations in a new map file.
System Info:

orangebug

Post by orangebug » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:26 pm

FYI I was able to replicate the memory leak with a new file. I'm attempting to merge a curved closed area with a polygonal closed area. The map size is quite large (7140px X 5040px), and the closed area is very complex.

I was attempting to recreate the map from scratch, and ran into the same problem. :(
System Info:

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:02 pm

orangebug wrote:FYI I was able to replicate the memory leak with a new file. I'm attempting to merge a curved closed area with a polygonal closed area. The map size is quite large (7140px X 5040px), and the closed area is very complex.

I was attempting to recreate the map from scratch, and ran into the same problem. :(
Found the bug, but couldn't fix on time for the release (too risky so deep into regression testing). It's going to be listed as a known issue for V0.8.3.

We did add a check so that it doesn't crash any more (at least in our test cases), but the result is not a correctly merged path.

We'll work on this for Beta 4.

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

orangebug

Post by orangebug » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:32 pm

I can confirm on the incorrectly merged paths. I tested that first thing when you guys pushed the update early Saturday (was finishing up a D&D session Friday night), it didn't max out my memory, but it did merge very strangely. I haven't had a chance yet to experiment further though.
System Info:

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:52 pm

orangebug wrote:I can confirm on the incorrectly merged paths. I tested that first thing when you guys pushed the update early Saturday (was finishing up a D&D session Friday night), it didn't max out my memory, but it did merge very strangely. I haven't had a chance yet to experiment further though.
Yep, that's what we are seeing too. Thank you for confirming it. We were really really close to fixing it. Frustratingly close. But we know better than changing something like that so deep into regression testing from past projects without re doing a large part of the regression testing. Once the change started spanning multiple functions and the deadline was hours away Stephanie pulled the plug :).

The check at least makes it so that we don't crash, which I'm sure it's good for someone who hasn't saved for a while.

Thank you again!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software