Creating new map (or altering existing) size issue

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

smithy

Creating new map (or altering existing) size issue

Post by smithy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:02 am

Hi,
hit a problem where i was trying to expand the size of my map using the Map Set Up dropdown. Made it bigger and pressed OK and then everything went black, canvas and landmasses - the lot. Got the landmasses to come back but the canvas remains black and wont change.
Tried to create a new map with larger size and it did the same thing? Just all black and unchangeable.

Smithy

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Creating new map (or altering existing) size issue

Post by Kanchou » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:56 am

smithy wrote:Hi,
hit a problem where i was trying to expand the size of my map using the Map Set Up dropdown. Made it bigger and pressed OK and then everything went black, canvas and landmasses - the lot. Got the landmasses to come back but the canvas remains black and wont change.
Tried to create a new map with larger size and it did the same thing? Just all black and unchangeable.

Smithy
Smithy,

What size was the new map/resized map?

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

smithy

Post by smithy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:55 am

Cant remember exactly, but i just tried it at 7000 x 4900 pixels landscape (within the 9k x 5k limit) and it did it again.

Smithy

Just went back to look at another pair of maps i had made which this didnt happen on, and now both are "infected" - everything is black. :(
If i wait 20 secs it loads the landmasses so i can view them but background canvas remains black.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:18 pm

smithy wrote:Cant remember exactly, but i just tried it at 7000 x 4900 pixels landscape (within the 9k x 5k limit) and it did it again.

Smithy

Just went back to look at another pair of maps i had made which this didn't happen on, and now both are "infected" - everything is black. :(
If i wait 20 secs it loads the landmasses so i can view them but background canvas remains black.
That's very odd. Just to be sure, have you restarted your PC since you saw the issue? Do you have other programs running taking a lot of memory? It sounds like an out of memory issue, but I don't know why it would just start like that.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

smithy

Post by smithy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:08 am

Think it may be a memory issue for my existing maps as when I went back later they were working again. However I did do a test of a new, blank map making the canvas size very large and it did same thing - ie make everything black and unworkable. Could this also be a memory issue where resources are still busy?

Smithy

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:11 am

smithy wrote:Think it may be a memory issue for my existing maps as when I went back later they were working again. However I did do a test of a new, blank map making the canvas size very large and it did same thing - ie make everything black and unworkable. Could this also be a memory issue where resources are still busy?

Smithy

Smithy,

Other World Mapper needs enough memory to create a raster preview of your map (otherwise it would be painfully slow to even scroll the map).
At 3 GB of RAM if you have a lot of other programs running (including Windows itself), there won't be as much free memory for OWM. You can look at task manager to see how much RAM OWM is taking vs. how much the rest of your programs are taking. A 9k x 5k map will take quite a bit of memory.

Still, we need to add error/warning messages to Other World Mapper telling you "low of memory" or "not enough memory for this action" and we are also adding options to split the raster in sections so you can have very large maps not taking as much memory (with the downside of a slow down as you cross map sections).

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software