Possible bug: Stacking layers/terrain types

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

efremj

Possible bug: Stacking layers/terrain types

Post by efremj » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi there,

So here's something that may or may not be a bug. I have a landmass (#1) that I created a body of water (#2) on. On top of the body of water I created another landmass--an island of sorts (#3). On top of that "island" I wanted to place a city icon but... I cannot get the layers to change depth. I tried both the Bring Forward and Bring to Front for the icon, and I tried the Send Backward and Send to Back for the "island" but was only able to send it *all* the way back--to the background of the image where it wasn't visible. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate the setup.

Thanks for looking!

-Efrem

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: Possible bug: Stacking layers/terrain types

Post by Kyete » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:43 pm

Hello,

The move forward and backward only applies to items of the same type and that belong to the same parent. So the smaller landmass can be either in front of landmass 1, including all its children, or behind landmass 1, but it cannot be behind any of the children of another landmass. There are a couple of ways to get the effect you want:

1) Place the feature on the smaller landmass
2) Use the water draw tool subtract mode to cut a hole in the lake (Note: This will make the shoreline follow the edge of the “island” as well.)

Hope this helps!

-Katie

efremj

Re: Possible bug: Stacking layers/terrain types

Post by efremj » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:58 pm

That's reeeeeeeally cool. ;-}~

Thanks for the tip! Here's the end result:

-Efrem