Edit Points Tool Problem

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

smithy

Edit Points Tool Problem

Post by smithy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:03 pm

Not sure if this is a bug or my PC being crap (or even my lack of skills?) but every time i try and use the Edit Points Tool on a map, the point I'm trying to move, gets thrown up to top left hand corner and screws the map completely. I am totally unable to edit the points without this happening and makes it impossible for me to do anything with the tool.

cheers,
Smithy

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Edit Points Tool Problem

Post by Kanchou » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:27 pm

smithy wrote:Not sure if this is a bug or my PC being crap (or even my lack of skills?) but every time i try and use the Edit Points Tool on a map, the point I'm trying to move, gets thrown up to top left hand corner and screws the map completely. I am totally unable to edit the points without this happening and makes it impossible for me to do anything with the tool.

cheers,
Smithy
What item type are you trying to edit?

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

smithy

Post by smithy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Its a Landmass.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 pm

smithy wrote:Its a Landmass.
Any chance you can email me the map in question?

I'd like to try to reproduce it over here so we can fix it. I'm not sure what's going on, but we've had the point edit working pretty well since Alpha 3 with all our test cases.

By the way, the issue wouldn't be your machine, even if it's older. It may be slow when you are moving the points, but it shouldn't do that.

Thank you for your help!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

smithy

Post by smithy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:58 am

Hi, emailed the map over to you.

Cheers,
smithy

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:39 am

smithy wrote:Hi, emailed the map over to you.

Cheers,
smithy
To keep everyone in the loop.

1) The landmass in the map had a corrupted control point and we are going to keep an eye open if we see this happen again. We thought we had solved all the point editing issues, so we definitely want to catch this one.

Remember that doing undo after the point "goes crazy" while moving it will return the shape back to the previous state. If you notice a repeatable scenario (point goes crazy, undo back to normal, then point goes crazy again on moving it), please send the map our way with the points "not wrong" and tell us how you make it happen. That will aid us debug the issue.

2) You mentioned slow performance. The landmass in question covers a high percent of the map and had shadow enabled. Your PC is in the low end, but should be within the minimum requirements for OWM. From that:
a) For now, as a temporary solution, work with the map with shadow disabled for that landmass (under the properties for the landmass).
b) For the next version: we moved up in our schedule planned work to improve the performance of shadow effects since now they are used by many of the item types. The improved algorithm takes 57% of the time the previous one did for the same landmass. Hopefully we can lower that further before beta 3.

Thanks for the feedback! Please keep it coming.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Another update:

We attempted to reproduce the issue and it happens right away under vista, but not in our 64 Windows 7, so it seems OS related and what's why we didn't see it before.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:47 pm

All,

Another update on this. We found an issue with a dependency that is exclusive to Vista and breaks several OWM functions in addition to point editing (i.e. following and vector boolean operations).

We cannot update the dependency because it's a MS library that only they can distribute (and apparently they aren't pushing the updated/fix version to Vista since that OS is the end of life cycle) so we created a workaround so we don't trigger the bug.

Things appear to work normally under Vista now and it will be part of our next release. If anybody is running Vista and having issue let us know and we'll send you an intermediate/non-release build of OWM to continue testing.

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software