How to troubleshoot frequent hangs/crashes

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

Korav

How to troubleshoot frequent hangs/crashes

Post by Korav » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:05 am

After trying to use the Dungeon Tool now for a week or so, I basically can't do much without the whole program hanging. I am not sure specifically what causing it, so I can't give a reproduction scenario. Sometimes repeated steps work, sometimes they don't.

Not sure what I can do to help troubleshoot the problem.

System:
Windows 10 (auto updated, so should be at the latest)
Core i5-6600
16 GB of ram
Samsung 850 evo SSD with 350 mb free (installed to here)
Nvidia GTX970
System is not overclocked and there definitely are no heat issues (SFF case but water cooled), all other games/applications work perfectly fine.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: How to troubleshoot frequent hangs/crashes

Post by Kanchou » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:29 pm

Korav wrote:After trying to use the Dungeon Tool now for a week or so, I basically can't do much without the whole program hanging. I am not sure specifically what causing it, so I can't give a reproduction scenario. Sometimes repeated steps work, sometimes they don't.

Not sure what I can do to help troubleshoot the problem.

System:
Windows 10 (auto updated, so should be at the latest)
Core i5-6600
16 GB of ram
Samsung 850 evo SSD with 350 mb free (installed to here)
Nvidia GTX970
System is not overclocked and there definitely are no heat issues (SFF case but water cooled), all other games/applications work perfectly fine.
Can you send us a map that you saved sometime before a crash? It's fine if it doesn't seem like it's always the same action that causes the crash after that point, but it may be related to what tools you used, how the map is layout, etc. We did pretty complex maps and only found a few issues that we've addressed since the release, but nothing that would be that constant.

acanosa@threemindssoftware.com

Thank you for your working with the tools and your feedback!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Korav

Post by Korav » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:29 am

So I worked out a reproducible scenario using a small sample map. I have sent this to you. Essentially attempting to use the corridor tool on this map will cause the application to hang.

Also as a note, if I attempt to open the application by double clicking the .owm file, I get an error saying "There was a problem sending the command to the program" with an "OK" button.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:13 am

Korav wrote:Also as a note, if I attempt to open the application by double clicking the .owm file, I get an error saying "There was a problem sending the command to the program" with an "OK" button.
Fixed
Korav wrote:So I worked out a reproducible scenario using a small sample map. I have sent this to you. Essentially attempting to use the corridor tool on this map will cause the application to hang.
We've been working with the map you sent in different OS and HW configurations and we haven't had any trouble. In particular, the Win 10 machine doesn't have any of our programming tools, so it should be like a real "user's PC."

Questions:

1) Are you running 32 or 64 bits Windows?

2) Do you have any custom artwork added to the program? (via the folder structure)

3) Does it literally happen by just selecting the corridor tool and clicking anywhere in the screen to start a corridor? Or is it a particular placement.

This one has us confused, so we would very much appreciate any extra info and your help.

Thanks!!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Korav

Post by Korav » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:31 am

Sorry for the delay in responding, was away on business.

1) Are you running 32 or 64 bits Windows?

64 bit Windows with 64 bit version of OWM.

2) Do you have any custom artwork added to the program? (via the folder structure)

At the time of the reproduction, no. I have since added a few minor things.

3) Does it literally happen by just selecting the corridor tool and clicking anywhere in the screen to start a corridor? Or is it a particular placement.

It happens just by selecting the corridor tool and clicking anywhere in the screen.

Thanks
Kevin

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:56 am

Kevin,

I think we found the bug. I'm not 100% sure because in our test environments in doesn't happen at the frequency you are seeing it (and other beta users haven't seen it).

We should be releasing Beta 2 within a few days. Please test it again then and let us know if you are seeing the problem.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Korav

Post by Korav » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:22 am

Thank you, looking forward to Beta 2!