Recommended size for top down building add ons?

Talk about map artwork, share links to artwork (including symbols you made). Please DO NOT link to downloads or sites that are breaking someone's copyrights.

Moderator: Kyete

Dave Woodrum

Recommended size for top down building add ons?

Post by Dave Woodrum » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:21 pm

If I have somehow missed this discussion in the Forums elsewhere I apologize. Otherwise... here's my question...
I'm going to be adding in some top down stuff for my own city/settlement mapping needs- mostly sci-fi/space opera city buildings, exotic plant life, etc. as well as stuff for post apocalypse. That said, what is the recommended size, pixel wise (I'm thinking 300 dpi scale here) for most buildings- I know things can be blown up and shrunk but if you wanted a good, clean, reasonably compatible looking building and all, what would be the recommended pixel size height and width?
Also, any tips on outline thickness?
Owner/Operator of Fishwife Games brand of products. Over 1,100 products to choose from at: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub ... m=fishwife
Table top game designer, 3d print modeler, music arranger.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Recommended size for top down building add ons?

Post by Kanchou » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:49 pm

Dave Woodrum wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:21 pm
If I have somehow missed this discussion in the Forums elsewhere I apologize. Otherwise... here's my question...
I'm going to be adding in some top down stuff for my own city/settlement mapping needs- mostly sci-fi/space opera city buildings, exotic plant life, etc. as well as stuff for post apocalypse. That said, what is the recommended size, pixel wise (I'm thinking 300 dpi scale here) for most buildings- I know things can be blown up and shrunk but if you wanted a good, clean, reasonably compatible looking building and all, what would be the recommended pixel size height and width?
Also, any tips on outline thickness?
With size for most buildings do you mean for what would be an entire map? Like an entire sci fi base? And I'm assuming this is you'd want to print?

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Dave Woodrum

Post by Dave Woodrum » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:23 pm

To better clarify, I'm doing village maps that are roughly 7.25 inches by 8 inches.. or rather 2,175 x 2,400 pixels. I think I've figured it out... I likely want to make a base building image around 150 x 150 pixels (some buildings will be more detailed, etc.).
I've been playing some more since my initial question so I may have it down now. In addition to sci-fi buildings I've hand drawn some top down alien plants, more rocks/boulders, and also some scrapped out "space" junk (broken bits of stuff). Yeah, when I map out space port cities/colonies I tend to go for the seedier, polluted, filthy locales.. but with a splash of color!

I'll color in some of these and convert over (right now I'm using the "other" art method but I'm tinkering some with the svg option) and let you know if I'm still stuck on my original question.
Owner/Operator of Fishwife Games brand of products. Over 1,100 products to choose from at: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub ... m=fishwife
Table top game designer, 3d print modeler, music arranger.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:12 pm

Sounds good! Let us know if you need any help :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software