Vintyri Add-Ons: Linux/Mac Versions released

Talk about map artwork, share links to artwork (including symbols you made). Please DO NOT link to downloads or sites that are breaking someone's copyrights.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Vintyri Add-Ons: Linux/Mac Versions released

Post by Kanchou » Sat May 30, 2020 11:54 am

robmiracle wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:42 pm
~/Library/Application Support/Other World Mapper existed. It contained two folders: Autosave and FeatureList. FeatureList is empty. Autosave has one file in it, I suspect because I have the app open.

/Library/Application Support/Other World Mapper exists and seems to have a lot of content in it. This seems to be where Art Manager is putting things. But this isn't the typical place a user would install things.

I'm in business now!

Thanks
Rob
Glad it worked out! And I think you are right, we put the artwork under "/Library" instead of "~/Library" because it's supposed to be for all users, but there may be a better place?

This is from Apple:
https://developer.apple.com/library/arc ... 72-CH2-SW1

Anyhow, we'll look at this some more to make sure the current placement isn't an issue.

We'll also update our tutorial on our website and documentation to include macOS details.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Sun May 31, 2020 7:26 am

Kanchou wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:54 am
Glad it worked out! And I think you are right, we put the artwork under "/Library" instead of "~/Library" because it's supposed to be for all users, but there may be a better place?
How difficult would it be to have the main OWM program look in both locations, so that you could have both system-wide and per-user resources? And then maybe also add an option in the installer for whether to do a system-wide or a per-user installation, so that it could be run without needing admin rights.

(Note that these thoughts are from a Linux admin, so they may not be 100% applicable to Macs. I haven't used OSX in close to a decade, so I don't really remember how locked-down the permissions on their system directories are.)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:24 pm

nDervish wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:26 am
How difficult would it be to have the main OWM program look in both locations, so that you could have both system-wide and per-user resources? And then maybe also add an option in the installer for whether to do a system-wide or a per-user installation, so that it could be run without needing admin rights.

(Note that these thoughts are from a Linux admin, so they may not be 100% applicable to Macs. I haven't used OSX in close to a decade, so I don't really remember how locked-down the permissions on their system directories are.)
As long as it's in Library the permissions aren't a problem because we distribute with a package installer. So, that's a really good idea. We also have a pending request to define a custom location for the art resources, so we'll try to work on both for the next version.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software