Consider using gtk3 backend for wxwidget on Linux

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

Moritz Maxeiner

Consider using gtk3 backend for wxwidget on Linux

Post by Moritz Maxeiner » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:48 pm

Hello,

I'm using OWM on Linux and it seems like you're using wxWidgets with the GTK+ 2 backend. Would it be possible for you to upgrade to the GTK+ 3 backend for Linux ( https://docs.wxwidgets.org/3.0/page_port.html ) ?

For example, GTK+ 2 doesn't have particularily good support of HiDPI screens, like my laptop's internal one, so whenever I'm using OWM on my internal screen, I manually lower the screen's resolution so everything looks correctly scaled (though unfortunately slightly blurry). Upgrading to GTK+ 3 should allow me to use OWM on my HiDPI screen without any hacks, as GTK+ 3 HiDPI support is generally pretty good.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Consider using gtk3 backend for wxwidget on Linux

Post by Kanchou » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:49 pm

Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:48 pm
Hello,

I'm using OWM on Linux and it seems like you're using wxWidgets with the GTK+ 2 backend. Would it be possible for you to upgrade to the GTK+ 3 backend for Linux ( https://docs.wxwidgets.org/3.0/page_port.html ) ?

For example, GTK+ 2 doesn't have particularily good support of HiDPI screens, like my laptop's internal one, so whenever I'm using OWM on my internal screen, I manually lower the screen's resolution so everything looks correctly scaled (though unfortunately slightly blurry). Upgrading to GTK+ 3 should allow me to use OWM on my HiDPI screen without any hacks, as GTK+ 3 HiDPI support is generally pretty good.
Thank you for the Linux feedback, it's very much appreciated!!

We actually had a GTK3 build working for Other World Mapper but the UI looked pretty ugly, at least with our Ubuntu dev machine. I wasn't sure if it was an issue with wxWidgets so I put it aside to investigate more later... which didn't happen.

I'm going to add this as a feature request and hopefully we'll get to investigate more before the next release.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software