"Norwegian Coast" fractalization style?

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

FoaS

"Norwegian Coast" fractalization style?

Post by FoaS » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:44 pm

Apparently tonight is the night I'm thinking about fractals.

One of the things I'm struggling with is getting the Undulating shape of a fjord-heavy coast, much like the NW coast of Norway. I haven't quite figured out a "math friendly" way to describe what the heck is going on there, but I know the current subdivision going on doesn't quite capture it. . Even with High Amplitude I just get more jagged shapes rather than more Undulating shapes.

I wonder, does the "offset" of a new Vertex in iteration N depend on the Normal of the original line? If so - I wonder what would happen if the position of a new vert is dependant on *both* the Normal of the original line *and* the normal of the closest segment from iteration N-1 (you might already be doing that, who knows) but I *think* there might be a way to get a more undulating effect by somehow weighting the contribution of a vert position between the last iteration and the raw line segment.

TLDR; - can I humbly request some exploration on more options for fractal generation to get an undulating Norwegian-style coastline?

FoaS

Re: "Norwegian Coast" fractalization style?

Post by FoaS » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:59 am

in hindsight, you probably already *are* placing the new vertices based on the last iteration's normal, Koch Snowflake style. be that as it may, I think at some point I might play with some fractalization methods myself and see what maths I can come up with to get some undulating shapes and share.