Add a texture option for road center line (with example why)

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

Dave Woodrum

Add a texture option for road center line (with example why)

Post by Dave Woodrum » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:23 am

I was testing out some custom feature images last night for a shady sci-fi space port colony and was envisioning what "roads" looked like. I had a vision of bright colored/glowing edge markers which I achieved by making the center line option of roads the main physical part of the road. The green striped edges (in the image below) are the main body of the road with texture. This technique, by the way, also taught me that sidewalks are possible for modern day maps without having to ask you for those.
However, this led me to a request. Since I'm using the center line for the main body of the road, would it be possible to add a texture option for the center?
And maybe sidewalks because now that I think about it I would need a center for the center to achieve the painted lines in the road effect... Okay, before I make this more confusing just take a look at the image and you'll see what I'm thinking.
(And I'll likely make a more realistic color palette for my psychedelic alien plants- yes, they are much tackier looking than I imagined with the bright colors now that I see them in a map layout)
Attachments
sci fi test request.png
sci fi test request.png (332.12 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
Owner/Operator of Fishwife Games brand of products. Over 1,100 products to choose from at: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub ... m=fishwife
Table top game designer, 3d print modeler, music arranger.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: Add a texture option for road center line (with example why)

Post by Kyete » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:16 pm

We can definitely add the center line texture! I'll add it to our list for 1.0.6.

For sidewalks, I think that could be done with a smaller 'road' (with different properties) following next to your actual road. The time consuming part would be placing it next to the main road so it's lined up. We could look into doing something like Following, but next to the path instead of on top of it. Do you think that would work?

-Katie

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:20 am

Kyete wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:16 pm
We could look into doing something like Following, but next to the path instead of on top of it. Do you think that would work?
I'll give that a +1. Whether it works for the road/sidewalk use case or not, I can see a lot of potential for that kind of feature in creating various kinds of custom borders between arbitrary objects.

Uldar

Post by Uldar » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:19 pm

I'm using the City Wall tool for roads in a city. You can use Texture on the outer edge to do a sidewalk.

Dave Woodrum

Post by Dave Woodrum » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:39 pm

Kyete wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:16 pm
We can definitely add the center line texture! I'll add it to our list for 1.0.6.

For sidewalks, I think that could be done with a smaller 'road' (with different properties) following next to your actual road. The time consuming part would be placing it next to the main road so it's lined up. We could look into doing something like Following, but next to the path instead of on top of it. Do you think that would work?

-Katie
Definitely! Thanks!
Owner/Operator of Fishwife Games brand of products. Over 1,100 products to choose from at: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub ... m=fishwife
Table top game designer, 3d print modeler, music arranger.