Object Search

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

outzenj

Object Search

Post by outzenj » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:06 pm

On a big, complex map with lots of things, I wonder if some sort of search function might be useful. As in, find the object with this name, or find a Feature with this image.

I'm sure there's some use case for a search function on its own, but I'm actually more interested in it because I think it could be a way of quickly restyling a map. My ideal mapping solution would let me place objects without worrying too much about how they look, and then separately allow me to change the appearance of different classes of objects (sort of like how shorelines work now).

With the structure of OWM, I don't see this really happening, but a robust search tool could lead to a similar endpoint. Want to hide villages from your world map? Search for all Features that use your village icon, and hide them. Don't like the look of your nation names? Search for all Labels with a particular format, and reformat them.

It would probably work best if the search could select objects on multiple landmasses, so that all the objects could be updated at once regardless of location. And a way to save a search would be handy as well.

Balmung

Re: Object Search

Post by Balmung » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:40 pm

I guess "Select by Type" over the minimap isn't what you're looking for?

outzenj

Post by outzenj » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:30 am

Balmung wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:40 pm
I guess "Select by Type" over the minimap isn't what you're looking for?
Select by Type isn't nearly fine-grained enough for what I'm thinking. Plus it can only select objects on a single landmass (which might be a separate issue entirely).

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:34 pm

Being able to search for existing items is a really good idea! What you're describing sounds like a kind of item manager, since it's looking for things over the whole map instead of on a by landmass basis. I'll add it to the list and we'll work on it (hopefully for version 1.0.6). Thank you for the feedback!

-Katie