Last Created Auto-Selected Option

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

SilverSurfer1221

Last Created Auto-Selected Option

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:26 pm

I'd like to see an OPTION or auto-selecting the last thing created. Currently, as an example, if I create a river and then want to change it by moving a point or two, I have to do the following:

- Create river using the river tool
- Click the Transform tool
- Click the river just made
- Start clicking and dragging dots to adjust the river

If there were an option to auto-select the last made item, then the end-user could create the river and, when they exit the tool, the river is automatically selected and they can start moving points about. Perhaps a right-mouse click could exit this mode? This could be used for any tool - landmass, region, roads, etc.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: Last Created Auto-Selected Option

Post by Kyete » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:28 pm

I'm note sure about an option, since it doesn't really fit into the right-click menu and the Advanced Settings would be too awkward to turn off/on quickly, but we can look into making it a keyboard shortcut or click-and-hold or something. Would something like that work?

-Katie

SilverSurfer1221

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:49 pm

By an option, I mean it could be a PREFERENCE that the end-user could set if they prefer to work this way. I do, but others might not. That way, if this option is set, then anytime something is created, it is auto-selected for further manipulation. Perhaps this could be an option in preferences where the end-user could specify this only works for certain things, like the creation of rivers, but is turned off for certain things, like the placement of towns, trees, etc.

Uldar

Post by Uldar » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:07 pm

I see what he means. I subconsciously felt that was a gap, too. If I create something, I'm almost always going to transform it, and some objects are tricky to select. A way to select the last object selected or created, would be useful.

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:22 am

I'm in favor of this as an option, too. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've created an object, then gone to adjust its properties only to waste a couple minutes going "But I just changed the width setting! Why isn't the width changing?!?" before I finally remember that the properties I'm changing are the tool properties, and not the properties of the object I just created.

A keyboard shortcut doesn't address this, because it doesn't address the difference in expectation regarding which set of properties is in play. If I remember that I need to press a keyboard shortcut to edit the object that I just created, then that implies that I'm already consciously aware that the object needs to be (IMO re-)selected before I can edit its properties.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:59 pm

Alright, I'll add that to our list as a new advanced option. :D We'll see what works with features, but it will work with all other items. Thank you for the feedback everyone!

-Katie