Edit raw curve for Bezier Fractal

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

FoaS

Edit raw curve for Bezier Fractal

Post by FoaS » Wed May 19, 2021 9:19 pm

So, I'm not sure if this is a feature that is lacking, or if it is a feature that I'm just not understanding how to access, but I know I can edit the position of vertices of the fractal line "skeleton" using the transform tool, and I know I can edit the individual points of the final fractal line, but I think there ought to be a way to edit the bezier handles of the skeleton when using a bezier fractal line.

Balmung

Re: Edit raw curve for Bezier Fractal

Post by Balmung » Thu May 20, 2021 1:38 am

Could you split this one huge sentence, please?

FoaS

Post by FoaS » Thu May 20, 2021 7:49 am

Wow, okay, sure.

So, I'm not sure if this is a feature that is lacking, or if it is a feature that I'm just not understanding how to access. I can edit the position of vertices of a line that a fractal line is made from using the transform tool. I know I can edit the individual points of the final fractal line using the line tool. There ought to be a way to edit the bezier curve that a fractal bezier is made from.

here's a visual for good measure:

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu May 20, 2021 10:07 am

FoaS wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:49 am
Wow, okay, sure.

So, I'm not sure if this is a feature that is lacking, or if it is a feature that I'm just not understanding how to access. I can edit the position of vertices of a line that a fractal line is made from using the transform tool. I know I can edit the individual points of the final fractal line using the line tool. There ought to be a way to edit the bezier curve that a fractal bezier is made from.

here's a visual for good measure:
If the fractal factor was high-ish and the tension lower, the bezier handles are going to be very close to the point itself. Also, by default because of the number of points the handles are only shown for the selected point. Suggestions below :)

1. Select "Show all Bezier Control Points" from the Edit Shape Tool toolbar at the top
2. Zoom in pretty closely so you can start seeing them.
POints.png
POints.png (19 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu May 20, 2021 10:12 am

Oh, and also if the tension is "0" the fractal shape is created with lines but you can always make it into a Bezer by "dragging" the middle of the curve. This can also be helpful if there are handles but they are practically overlapping the point.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

FoaS

Post by FoaS » Thu May 20, 2021 5:04 pm

yeah, no, I know I can modify the points on the already fractalized line. Lemme see if I can explain from a different angle.

If I draw out a regular bezier curve, I can modify the points, and handles of that curve.
A fractal bezier curve is a subdivision function layered on top of a given bezier curve, right?
What I'm saying is that I think it'd be useful to be able to edit the handles of the **Underlying** bezier curve of a fractal bezier. You can move the verts of the underlying Line or bezier-curve using the transform tool, but you cannot edit the **handles** of the curve underlying the fractal.

I have, however, realized that I'm making a big assumption: that the fractalization is non-destructive - that there exists, somewhere in memory, the non-fractalized bezier curve that can be modified and then re-fractalized after editing.

SilverSurfer1221

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Thu May 20, 2021 5:14 pm

I tested this and currently you can edit the points only (move them), but the end-user does not get any handles to adjust the CURVE, as you did when you originally laid the point and dragged to adjust the curve. So, it would be nice to be able to move the points AND to be able to adjust the handles of a bezier fractal curve.

FoaS

Post by FoaS » Thu May 20, 2021 5:39 pm

SilverSurfer1221 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:14 pm
I tested this and currently you can edit the points only (move them), but the end-user does not get any handles to adjust the CURVE, as you did when you originally laid the point and dragged to adjust the curve. So, it would be nice to be able to move the points AND to be able to adjust the handles of a bezier fractal curve.
I appreciate the sanity check - I was genuinely afraid I was double-talking myself into a corner in trying to explain it.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu May 20, 2021 5:54 pm

FoaS wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:04 pm
yeah, no, I know I can modify the points on the already fractalized line. Lemme see if I can explain from a different angle.

If I draw out a regular bezier curve, I can modify the points, and handles of that curve.
A fractal bezier curve is a subdivision function layered on top of a given bezier curve, right?
What I'm saying is that I think it'd be useful to be able to edit the handles of the **Underlying** bezier curve of a fractal bezier. You can move the verts of the underlying Line or bezier-curve using the transform tool, but you cannot edit the **handles** of the curve underlying the fractal.

I have, however, realized that I'm making a big assumption: that the fractalization is non-destructive - that there exists, somewhere in memory, the non-fractalized bezier curve that can be modified and then re-fractalized after editing.
I'm following now, sorry about that :)

That makes a lot of sense, we'll see if that's something we can do in the future. Problem for existing maps is that info isn't saved as you suspect, so it would only work for new maps.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

FoaS

Post by FoaS » Thu May 20, 2021 9:39 pm

Kanchou wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:54 pm
FoaS wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:04 pm

I'm following now, sorry about that :)

That makes a lot of sense, we'll see if that's something we can do in the future. Problem for existing maps is that info isn't saved as you suspect, so it would only work for new maps.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
You good. details are tricksy.
I wonder what it would take to back-engineer a bezier curve from a series of points... *shudders* heck naw - not worth it.