Request: Add a "Recover Tools Menu" Function, or instead make that menu an actual Window

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

npc

Request: Add a "Recover Tools Menu" Function, or instead make that menu an actual Window

Post by npc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:42 pm

Today I opened OWM on my laptop (Windows 10) to do some work, and the main floating tools menu was completely missing. It was not hidden underneath anything that I could control. I looked through the menus and options and nothing allowed me to find it.

The only thing that worked to bring it back was the "Reset Workspace" option. However, this was a bit unfortunate for me, as I had put a lot of effort into adjusting and rearranging my workspace for optimal speed use with my drawing pen. Now everything is resent, and it will be a bit of a chore to re-position all the things to my liking again.

One fix would be to add a new "Recover Tools" menu option, which could work like a partial reset, affecting only the floating picker.

Another option - and possibly even a more preferable one - would be to implement the Tools Menu as an actual Alt-Tab-able Window all its own. This would give it a number of system improvements, including being able to grab it and bring it back using basic Windows positioning controls.

nDervish

Re: Request: Add a "Recover Tools Menu" Function, or instead make that menu an actual Window

Post by nDervish » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:16 am

npc wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:42 pm
Another option - and possibly even a more preferable one - would be to implement the Tools Menu as an actual Alt-Tab-able Window all its own. This would give it a number of system improvements, including being able to grab it and bring it back using basic Windows positioning controls.
My personal ideal would be if it were dockable. No matter where I put it, it's rarely more than five minutes before I have to move it again so that I can see or touch whatever it's sitting in front of.

Balmung

Re: Request: Add a "Recover Tools Menu" Function, or instead make that menu an actual Window

Post by Balmung » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:03 am

Yes, dockable would be nice. I have plenty of room at the top menu, but also in the left and right sidebar.

npc

Post by npc » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:26 am

Yeah, making it dockable would be fantastic. This would be a great third option.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:12 pm

The tools menu should be able to dock to the right or left side of the program window. Is it not working for any of you?
Docked Tools.png
Docked Tools.png (113.82 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
-Katie

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:19 pm

:shock:

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:07 am

I initially thought it didn't, but it did with further experimentation. The thing that tripped me up is that I'm used to things docking when the floating window reaches the location it should dock to, but OWM's implementation doesn't dock until the actual mouse pointer gets there, so I was giving up too soon. Thanks for the prompt to try harder. :D

npc

Post by npc » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:25 pm

Kyete wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:12 pm
The tools menu should be able to dock to the right or left side of the program window. Is it not working for any of you?
nDervish wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:07 am
I initially thought it didn't, but it did with further experimentation. The thing that tripped me up is that I'm used to things docking when the floating window reaches the location it should dock to, but OWM's implementation doesn't dock until the actual mouse pointer gets there, so I was giving up too soon. Thanks for the prompt to try harder. :D
Holy crap, same here. I am so used to docking window features being based on the window borders and not the mouse cursor, I never even noticed. This is great!