number of sections instead pixel based calculated

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

Balmung

number of sections instead pixel based calculated

Post by Balmung » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:25 pm

When I setup the grid I can define after how many pixels I want the vertical and horizontal lines to appear - i.e. every 100px.

I want (for example) 12 sections, but the width is 14043px (DIN A0), so the correct distance is 1170,25px which I can't enter, because only integers are allowed. But even if I could enter float values, I think a better solution overall would be, to ask the user how many sections should be drawn vertical and horizontal and OWM does the math in the background.
System information:
  • Windows 10 Professional x64
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce 3070 FE

nDervish

Re: number of sections instead pixel based calculated

Post by nDervish » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:31 am

I think that would need to be an option (choose either "distance between lines" or "number of segments") because a lot of people are using OWM to make RPG battlemaps, where you normally need a map of one-inch squares, so they'll want to be able to set the grid size to "one inch" rather than looking up the dimensions (in inches) of the map and entering the number of inches as the number of segments.

Even outside of battlemaps, I expect you'd probably want to specify the grid size the current way in any case where you want the grid to correspond to a fixed measurement (e.g., an atlas page divided into 100-mile squares).

Balmung

Re: number of sections instead pixel based calculated

Post by Balmung » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:56 am

I just found out, that the grid size is independend from the paper size. Since I need spacing for printing, I can search for an offset.

But it would still be a nice feature ^^
System information:
  • Windows 10 Professional x64
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce 3070 FE