Snap to Grid Vertex, Follow Grid lines, Fill grid cells

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

Pseudonym

Snap to Grid Vertex, Follow Grid lines, Fill grid cells

Post by Pseudonym » Sun May 08, 2016 11:53 am

Hi, I like that this program attempts to support hexagon grids, it's the reason I bought it. This might be weird, but I have an aesthetic appreciation for overtly obvious hexagonal geography in games. So the three features I'd like would go towards enabling that, and I feel like they can't be too hard.
  • Snapping to a vertex, as opposed to an edge, so that all lines end at regular distances.
  • Follow grid lines instead of doing a direct point to point segment. (That way, besides the effect of the fractal edges, you have whole cells mostly on one side or the other, and no mostly bisected cells)
  • This might be the most difficult one, but if I could select several hexagons to fill with a certain terrain fill, then that would be the greatest thing.
For the most part, all of these features are mostly convenience features, and at least the first two are mostly extensions of existing code, I would think.

Thanks.
I like GURPS. I want a mapping program that can make dungeon maps that uses a hex grid.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Snap to Grid Vertex, Follow Grid lines, Fill grid cells

Post by Kanchou » Tue May 10, 2016 1:01 pm

Pseudonym wrote:Hi, I like that this program attempts to support hexagon grids, it's the reason I bought it. This might be weird, but I have an aesthetic appreciation for overtly obvious hexagonal geography in games. So the three features I'd like would go towards enabling that, and I feel like they can't be too hard.
  • Snapping to a vertex, as opposed to an edge, so that all lines end at regular distances.
  • Follow grid lines instead of doing a direct point to point segment. (That way, besides the effect of the fractal edges, you have whole cells mostly on one side or the other, and no mostly bisected cells)
  • This might be the most difficult one, but if I could select several hexagons to fill with a certain terrain fill, then that would be the greatest thing.
For the most part, all of these features are mostly convenience features, and at least the first two are mostly extensions of existing code, I would think.

Thanks.
Hello!

We have plans for all 3 of the modes you suggested. The first two can easily be done with the existing UI just adding two more snapping modes (the engine already partially supports them).

The last one we'll nee to give some thought to how best to implement it at the UI level so that it's not confusing.

The time frame for this would likely be after the first V1.0 release so we don't delay functionality that was promised with the Kickstarter (we plan to continue adding small features such as what you suggested and fixing issues after V1.0).

Thank you for the feedback!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Pseudonym

Re: Snap to Grid Vertex, Follow Grid lines, Fill grid cells

Post by Pseudonym » Tue May 10, 2016 1:20 pm

Kanchou wrote: Hello!

We have plans for all 3 of the modes you suggested. The first two can easily be done with the existing UI just adding two more snapping modes (the engine already partially supports them).

The last one we'll nee to give some thought to how best to implement it at the UI level so that it's not confusing.

The time frame for this would likely be after the first V1.0 release so we don't delay functionality that was promised with the Kickstarter (we plan to continue adding small features such as what you suggested and fixing issues after V1.0).

Thank you for the feedback!!

- Alejandro
Cool, thanks! Totally get that there are priorities, but I'm glad to know the suggestions are being considered. Good work so far.
I like GURPS. I want a mapping program that can make dungeon maps that uses a hex grid.