Exporting Map Bugs and Rotation-Snap issues

Report new issues and add information on existing ones.

Moderator: Kyete

Starkey8203

Exporting Map Bugs and Rotation-Snap issues

Post by Starkey8203 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Currently using 0.9.7, and I haven't seen anyone else commenting on this, so I figure I'd report it.

I've been drawing all of my maps in Other World Mapper, exporting them, then uploading them piece by piece to roll20 for my campaign that I'm running. Unfortunately, I tend to draw large maps and roll20 only accepts files that are 10 MBs or less. Mine tend to be between 25-40 MB if they are main maps. As consequence, I go into Microsoft paint and split my maps up along grid lines such that each individual portion is less than 10 MB.

When I export on a grid, things start getting wonky. My specified pixel thickness for the grid lines is 4 pixels. While this does work on the vertical slices, the horizontal ones don't (they are 3 pixels thick, not 4). To make matters worse, the grid doesn't line up exactly with the grid that is defined in my owm file...its off in both x and y by about 1-3 pixels in both directions, making for very odd looking maps, especially since my corridors often have tiled floors.

My second bug I'd like to report is in regards to grid snapping. If you have Snap enabled (Edge or Center), I've noticed that the features and closed rooms do snap...so long as the angle is 0 degrees. If they are rotated any bit, the snap no longer works. With rooms, you can clear the angle such that it resets to 0, but you can't do that with a feature. No matter what, it retains that angle it is given.

I've been able to work around these bugs for 0.9.7, but it was working just fine for 0.9.6, so hopefully it shouldn't be that bad to fix. :D

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: Exporting Map Bugs and Rotation-Snap issues

Post by Kyete » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:53 pm

We've found the bugs causing the grid export offset and the rotated item not snapping to grids, and they'll both be fixed for the next release.

I haven't been able to reproduce the exported horizontal lines being 3 px when they should be 4 px. What size map and grid width and height are you using?

Thank you!
-Katie

Starkey8203

Post by Starkey8203 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:44 pm

Kyete wrote: I haven't been able to reproduce the exported horizontal lines being 3 px when they should be 4 px. What size map and grid width and height are you using?
When I start a new map, I don't change the Grid Options. I have it stretch across the entire map and have the standard settings. The latest render I did was a 1300x1300 px map (100px square grid) and I wasn't able to get that bug either. It was more of a 3.5 px (two half-dark pixels on the side) I did double check, the grid options are set at 4 px for width.

The larger map I have is 7200x7000 (with 100px square grid, 4 px width), and the pixels display the same behavior there too... 3 core black pixels, with two on the side that are only half as dark.

Maybe this is due to the shifting grid bug?

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:59 am

The half-dark pixels on either side are from the anti-aliasing, which gives that effect when you have an even number of pixels.

I've tried both the map sizes you gave me as well as a few others and haven't seen a difference between the vertical and horizontal line widths. What file type are you exporting to and are you using the default export setting?

-Katie

Starkey8203

Post by Starkey8203 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:50 pm

Kyete wrote: What file type are you exporting to and are you using the default export setting?
Exporting to PNG with all of the standard settings, no modifications

Kyete wrote: I've tried both the map sizes you gave me as well as a few others and haven't seen a difference between the vertical and horizontal line widths.
I've only seen that bug happen once on my end, but I overwrote the map unfortunately so I don't have any proof. Every time I've exported since then, haven't seen it. Just the Anti-aliasing glitch.

(Apologies for the delay...my life got turned upside down this past month. Been insanely busy and haven't had time to work on maps)

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:27 pm

Let us know if you see it again. We've got it on our tracker and will keep an eye out for it as well. It's probably something that only occurs under very specific circumstances.

(Don't worry. We all know the feeling very well. Hopefully we all have a calmer August.)

-Katie

Starkey8203

Post by Starkey8203 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:53 pm

Running v1.0.1 now, and I think I found the same glitch when I export the map, but I may have found more detail...

With the same map files as I was reporting the previous bug on, I discovered the grid that overlays the map isn't actually square in the corners. For instance, in the top left corner, I see that the grid is actually only 1 px wide, and 2x2 off from the actual corner (i.e. the grid actually starts at 3,3 instead of 1,1) The Map size is correct in terms of pixels, but the grid is off, making things appear slightly distorted.

I was also curious about the pixel thickness of the grid itself and it is correct, but the anti-aliasing makes the grid distorted, making things 3 pixels wide (plus 2 half-dark pixels). Is this going to be standard from now on? I really liked how the grid was actually 4 black pixels thick when rendered. Made things much easier to cut down to size for dungeons.

(also, thank you for fixing the feature/room snap!)

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:50 pm

Yes, I see exactly what you're talking about. I've added it to the list and it'll be fixed in the next version.

Also, we'll try to add an option to disable the anti-aliasing for the grids.

Thank you for the help! If you find anything else, let us know!

-Katie

Starkey8203

Post by Starkey8203 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:58 am

Running v1.0.2, and I still see the Anti-aliasing and non-centered grid bug going on for dungeons. Granted, it does look better than it did earlier, but this bug is very frustrating to me, seeing as how I really like this software, but can't render my maps the way I want them. Is this bug still being looked into?

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Yes, it is still being looked into. It unfortunately didn't make it into this release, but the next release shouldn't take as long and it will definitely be fixed for that one. Sorry for the wait.

-Katie