Transform Tool bug: Scaling objects

Report new issues and add information on existing ones.

Moderator: Kyete

efremj

Transform Tool bug: Scaling objects

Post by efremj » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi again,

I think I may have found another bug... If I'm understanding the Help Doc correctly, I should be able to scale an object and "skew" it out of proportion (i.e. make it taller than wider or wider than taller) simply by grabbing a corner and pushing or pulling the object. Or, I should be able to hold down the Shift key and scale it but keep its relative proportions intact, correct?

It looks like the behavior when you scale an object is the exact same with or without the Shift key--it retains its relative proportions as it grows or shrinks.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Transform Tool bug: Scaling objects

Post by Kanchou » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:58 pm

efremj wrote:Hi again,

I think I may have found another bug... If I'm understanding the Help Doc correctly, I should be able to scale an object and "skew" it out of proportion (i.e. make it taller than wider or wider than taller) simply by grabbing a corner and pushing or pulling the object. Or, I should be able to hold down the Shift key and scale it but keep its relative proportions intact, correct?

It looks like the behavior when you scale an object is the exact same with or without the Shift key--it retains its relative proportions as it grows or shrinks.
efremj,

What object type? Some objects are fixed ratio (i.e. features and labels). Also, check that you didn't enable "lock proportions" in the options bar for the transform tool.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

efremj

Post by efremj » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:35 am

It was an image (.png) that I created in photoshop (a banner to overlay text on) and brought into OWM through the Feature Tool. I made sure I didn't have Lock Proportions on also.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:10 am

efremj wrote:It was an image (.png) that I created in photoshop (a banner to overlay text on) and brought into OWM through the Feature Tool. I made sure I didn't have Lock Proportions on also.
Yep. We only allow fixed proportions when scaling. We figured most of the time you would want to keep the aspect ratio of the original image.

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

efremj

Post by efremj » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi Alejandro,

Do you plan to change that in a future release? It would be nice to have both options. A real-world example to justify it is let's say you import an object like a parchment banner that you want to overlay a label (text) on. You get the banner imported and get the text on it and realize, "Gee, it would be great if this banner were a bit narrower." You could change the text but that would only work up to a certain point and then the proportions would start to look funny (i.e. banner would be too large). To fix it, you'd have to open the source image in a photo editing app and change it. That means you have to get out of OWM--and you guys want to keep people *in* your software. :)

If you had it so you could scale an object disproportionately by grabbing one of the object handles it would save a lot of time. Then you could have it so when you hold the Shift key and drag an object handle it scales proportionately. It's fairly common in other programs like Photoshop, Power Point, Corel, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, thanks for listening!

Post edit: If the plan is to keep proportionate scaling, please update the Help Doc to reflect that. As it's written now it implies that both methods should be available. Thanks!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:28 pm

efremj wrote:Hi Alejandro,

Do you plan to change that in a future release? It would be nice to have both options. A real-world example to justify it is let's say you import an object like a parchment banner that you want to overlay a label (text) on. You get the banner imported and get the text on it and realize, "Gee, it would be great if this banner were a bit narrower." You could change the text but that would only work up to a certain point and then the proportions would start to look funny (i.e. banner would be too large). To fix it, you'd have to open the source image in a photo editing app and change it. That means you have to get out of OWM--and you guys want to keep people *in* your software. :)

If you had it so you could scale an object disproportionately by grabbing one of the object handles it would save a lot of time. Then you could have it so when you hold the Shift key and drag an object handle it scales proportionately. It's fairly common in other programs like Photoshop, Power Point, Corel, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, thanks for listening!

Post edit: If the plan is to keep proportionate scaling, please update the Help Doc to reflect that. As it's written now it implies that both methods should be available. Thanks!
Sorry I missed your reply!

We'll make the change so that features can also be "stretched." There wasn't really a reason to not allow it other than trying to keep the UI simple, but we can see from your example cases where it would be useful. Probably won't make it to Beta 3, but hopefully with Beta 4.

Thanks!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

efremj

Post by efremj » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Excellent! Thanks!