Continental drift...and OWM

General discussion on worldbuilding.

Moderator: Kyete

Big Mac

Continental drift...and OWM

Post by Big Mac » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:02 am

Crossposted from The Piazza:
Big Mac wrote:I meant to post this a while ago, when I first saw it. Teramis, of the World Building Academy (and also a member of The Piazza) posted a YouTube video tutorial called: Build Your World With Continental Drift.

You can also read a bit more on her World Building Academy blog: Build Your World with Continental Drift (Video)
This technique of Teramis, is really amazing, for giving you the feel that continents on one side of a planet can fit into the gaps in the continents on the other side of the planet.

Teramis does this with bits of paper, but has anyone tried doing this sort of thing with OWM Beta yet?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a pre-historic uber-continent and then roll time forwards, saving the world map at several stages, to give you the different time periods.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

stefanstr

Re: Continental drift...and OWM

Post by stefanstr » Sun May 01, 2016 9:56 am

Haven't tried it but sounds like a cool idea!

Jimsocks

Post by Jimsocks » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 pm

I have totally already done this lots with OWM- its actually really easy!

Make the landmass, partition it any way you like, move and rotate them as you like, and even go in and adjust the segments if you want to re-fractal them a little or change them slightly so the shorelines aren't QUITE exact, but you can see where they might have once fit together. It's quick and painless, and fun!

grafumbly

Post by grafumbly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:58 am

This feature is one of the main things I was looking for when deciding what map tool I wanted to use to build my world. I partitioned a single continent, dragged the bits around, then added mountains where continental plates collided or subducted oceanic plates. Here's how it looks in OWM:
drifty.gif
drifty.gif (966.58 KiB) Viewed 6328 times

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:31 am

grafumbly wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:58 am
This feature is one of the main things I was looking for when deciding what map tool I wanted to use to build my world. I partitioned a single continent, dragged the bits around, then added mountains where continental plates collided or subducted oceanic plates. Here's how it looks in OWM:
Love that gif by the way! :)
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software