Hi! and some questions from a newbie

New to the forums? Say hi! and tell others about you.

Moderator: Kanchou

Prosten

Hi! and some questions from a newbie

Post by Prosten » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:43 am

Hi all!

I’m new to cartography in general, and to Other world mapper in particular. Right now I’m playing around with the demo but I’m thinking about buying the license. This app seems to be really user friendly and a good start for beginners. The fast replies from you developers that I’ve been seeing here at the forum is also a big plus! I really get the impression that you are genuinely interested in implementing features your users are asking for. Very nice! :)

Anyhow, I have some questions about features (perhaps already implemented or upcoming):

1. Is there a simple brush tool that you can use by free hand to paint layers on top of each other? Or is there some other feature that makes it easy to blend different regions together? Right now I’ve been using the region tool to stack layers giving them somewhat different coverage and settings. What I’m after is a smooth and somewhat irregular transition from one type of terrain to another. Easiest would be if I could add small splashes of one region type to another region close to where they are bordering each other. I guess the method I’ve been using is one way to do it, but somehow it seems like passing over the river to fetch water (as we say in Sweden :)).

2. Is it possible to import an already existing map, using it as base layer so that you can trace its shoreline with the landmass tool?

Thanks for the help!

ps. How do I attach images to my post? I tried to upload some screenshots (.png-files, sizes slightly larger than 1mb) to show you some examples related to question 1.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: Hi! and some questions from a newbie

Post by Kyete » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi!

We're glad to hear the you're enjoying the demo. A lot of our features were requested by our users and we try to implement everything we can without making the program too overwhelming for new users.

1. At the moment the only way to make transitions between regions is to overlap them. I think adjusting the Soft Edge and cutting holes in the regions with the region tool's Subtract mode would help get a smoother transition. We do have an idea for implementing a freehand painting like you're talking about, but that won't be until late next year.

2. If you go to the Canvas Properties and enable Background Image, you can set your existing map so that you can trace it.

The file size limit was exactly 1 mb. We just changed it to 2 mb, so hopefully it should work now for your screenshots.

Thank you and let us know if you have any other questions!
-Katie

Prosten

Re: Hi! and some questions from a newbie

Post by Prosten » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Great, thanks for your answers Kyete! I just upgraded to the basic version and really enjoy working with it!