Hello!

New to the forums? Say hi! and tell others about you.

Moderator: Kanchou

Jones

Hello!

Post by Jones » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:35 am

Hi to all,
I'm an "old-style" mapper grew up loving mapmaker (remember the AD&D Tools?) and I've been searching for alternatives since ages.
I've never fallen in love with (imho) over-complicated vector based mapping nor with "flat/dungeon style" maps since I wanted to make overland maps for my RPG campaigns.

A couple of months ago I discovered OWM by chance and I must admit that after a few hours I fell in love with it!
It brought me the best of fractal mapping with the ease of use of old raster ones and it's really wonderful.
I'm currently having a blast remaking my old (very) big world map! :-)

For now I found just a couple of "issues".

When you work wiht a LOT of features on a very big landmass it becomes very diffcult to manage them unless you colligate them. I don't always want to do it because it means you can't add other items later and because it puts the new colligated feature as a new top layer (so I have to re-sort it). IMHO grouping is useful but it should also put the grouped features in a new (renameable!) subtree the layers tab ;)

No curves for labels! :)

Keep up the wonderful work and I hope OWM will improve for a long time!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Hello!

Post by Kanchou » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:16 pm

Jones wrote:Hi to all,
I'm an "old-style" mapper grew up loving mapmaker (remember the AD&D Tools?) and I've been searching for alternatives since ages.
I've never fallen in love with (imho) over-complicated vector based mapping nor with "flat/dungeon style" maps since I wanted to make overland maps for my RPG campaigns.

A couple of months ago I discovered OWM by chance and I must admit that after a few hours I fell in love with it!
It brought me the best of fractal mapping with the ease of use of old raster ones and it's really wonderful.
I'm currently having a blast remaking my old (very) big world map! :-)
Very happy to hear that! That was exactly our hope when we started working on OWM :)
Jones wrote:Hi to all,
When you work wiht a LOT of features on a very big landmass it becomes very diffcult to manage them unless you colligate them. I don't always want to do it because it means you can't add other items later and because it puts the new colligated feature as a new top layer (so I have to re-sort it). IMHO grouping is useful but it should also put the grouped features in a new (renameable!) subtree the layers tab ;)
That's a good point, which we've been thinking how to address without making OWM overly complicated. Hopefully we'll have more on that soon.
Jones wrote: No curves for labels! :)
You can actually create labels that follow arbitrary paths by changing the label tool mode from the toolbar across the top. We should probably add the ability to have just plain curved text, but this will at least work for now.

I'll point you to a reddit post where we recently made a thread about it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/otherworldmapp ... ong_paths/
Jones wrote: Keep up the wonderful work and I hope OWM will improve for a long time!
Keep up the feedback! :) We add as much user requests into OWM as we can/make sense, so a lot of OWM is from the great user feedback we've received.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Jones

Re: Hello!

Post by Jones » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:25 am

Kanchou wrote: You can actually create labels that follow arbitrary paths by changing the label tool mode from the toolbar across the top. We should probably add the ability to have just plain curved text, but this will at least work for now.

I'll point you to a reddit post where we recently made a thread about it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/otherworldmapp ... ong_paths/
Oh... WOW!! :o
Totally didn't see that button! :oops:
This is it, wonderful, thank you! :D