Hello from Austria

New to the forums? Say hi! and tell others about you.

Moderator: Kanchou

novody

Hello from Austria

Post by novody » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi All, just wanted to say hallo and leave a note here which might be interesting for others who are looking for such a tool as well. At least I had a look into that place here before I bought it :)

After reading some reviews and checking out your demo maps I decided to download the trial and test it. (I did the same for other tools as well) I found it easy enough to use and was impressed what I could do within just 1 - 2 hours. So I decided to buy it and do not regret it so far.

I started to finally draw a map of our fantasy world we used to play in now for decades (yes, I counted twice it's decades in between). But we never fixed what we put in place and beside some rough sketches on paper we never had a real map. With that in mind I spend one evening with the full version and I am very satisfied with what I could achieve in that short time. All my initial issues and questions could be answered by clicking through this forum or reading the .... manual and with one other short reworking session I had a very good first draft ready for contentwise rework with my friends.

I did not use so far the city or dungeon part but it perfectly suits my needs so far. Thank you for that tool.

However the buying process makes me wonder for one thing. I donwloaded the program and the extension packages right after my online payment. I did receive a mail with the links saying that it will be ready for download for 30 days. Any time soon I will have to replace my workstation with a notebook. Do I have to keep the downloaded files forever now and transfer it to my new computer or will I be able download them again somehow and transfer a license key?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Austria

Post by Kanchou » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 pm

Welcome! Really happy to hear you've been able to draw the map from your fantasy world... and one you've been playing for two decades! :D

On your question:
novody wrote:However the buying process makes me wonder for one thing. I donwloaded the program and the extension packages right after my online payment. I did receive a mail with the links saying that it will be ready for download for 30 days. Any time soon I will have to replace my workstation with a notebook. Do I have to keep the downloaded files forever now and transfer it to my new computer or will I be able download them again somehow and transfer a license key?
The download service we use keeps changing the wording they use in their emails, I think because of the new EU privacy/etc rules.

1. You can *always* download OWM, even if the link somehow expires you can just email us and ask for a new link.
2. New links go out with every release, so normally you'll have a new link before the original expires (it's supposed to be good for 2 years).
3. You don't have to transfer the license. OWM is a "house hold" license, so if you have multiple PCs you can run it in multiple PCs (so in this case both in your workstation and the new notebook you are going to get :)).

Let us know if you have any other questions about the license or if you have any other feedback for us.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

novody

Post by novody » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 am

Kanchou wrote:Welcome! Really happy to hear you've been able to draw the map from your fantasy world... and one you've been playing for two decades! :D
Yes, its a pity we never did it earlier. But putting it on a "official" map means to commit to a certain level what was always a bit felxibel. By doing this now a lot of questions came up which was mostly the reason why we have not undergone this exercise earlier. But we will see how well your tool supports us with it's flexibility in this process :lol:
Kanchou wrote: On your question:
novody wrote:However the buying process makes me wonder for one thing. I donwloaded the program and the extension packages right after my online payment. I did receive a mail with the links saying that it will be ready for download for 30 days. Any time soon I will have to replace my workstation with a notebook. Do I have to keep the downloaded files forever now and transfer it to my new computer or will I be able download them again somehow and transfer a license key?
The download service we use keeps changing the wording they use in their emails, I think because of the new EU privacy/etc rules.

1. You can *always* download OWM, even if the link somehow expires you can just email us and ask for a new link.
2. New links go out with every release, so normally you'll have a new link before the original expires (it's supposed to be good for 2 years).
3. You don't have to transfer the license. OWM is a "house hold" license, so if you have multiple PCs you can run it in multiple PCs (so in this case both in your workstation and the new notebook you are going to get :)).

Let us know if you have any other questions about the license or if you have any other feedback for us.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Great. That makes me confidend that I can do my transfer without big issues. The only question that comes into my mind is: if you store the license centrally does it mean I have to be online when using the tool? (have not tried it offline so far)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:35 pm

novody wrote:Great. That makes me confidend that I can do my transfer without big issues. The only question that comes into my mind is: if you store the license centrally does it mean I have to be online when using the tool? (have not tried it offline so far)
Most certainly not. Other World Mapper is DRM free. We don't have online checks, activation, etc. The license is not enforced via copy protection technologies (aka we trust you to do the right thing :) ).

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

novody

Post by novody » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Kanchou wrote:
novody wrote:Great. That makes me confidend that I can do my transfer without big issues. The only question that comes into my mind is: if you store the license centrally does it mean I have to be online when using the tool? (have not tried it offline so far)
Most certainly not. Other World Mapper is DRM free. We don't have online checks, activation, etc. The license is not enforced via copy protection technologies (aka we trust you to do the right thing :) ).

- Alejandro
Perfect! And regarding trust...well we don't win anything if you stop your service because noone pays for the tool :)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:33 pm

novody wrote:Perfect! And regarding trust...well we don't win anything if you stop your service because noone pays for the tool :)
Exactly our thought and hope. And so far people have validated our decision to make OWM DRM free :)

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software