I like this program to much

New to the forums? Say hi! and tell others about you.

Moderator: Kanchou

Sphinx

I like this program to much

Post by Sphinx » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:37 am

Hello and greetings from Germany
I just want to say tank you for this good program. It has some things that could be improved but at its core i like creating maps with it. I am not a good artist but even i can create a map this looks decent.

I'm running a Dungeons and Dragons campaign for some friends and i wanted to create a world where i can do whatever i want. So i draw a small map on paper where we started. But i realized i want more with a better look. So i tested working with Gimp..nope..i am not an artist :/
Then i bought campaign cartographer and did a small map of the are witch worked for me, it looked good. Then i needed to branch out and create a continent and i struggled with cc3, it was slow, tidious with symbol sorting,...
And then there was a twitter add for other world mapper. I looked at it, tested the demo watched youtube videos (you really need more and better videos, today it is my goto for thinks i like to buy) but thought, na you just bought cc3. Learn to get better with it.
It did dent work, so i tryed the OWM Demo again and then bought the program out of dispair with cc3.

And in a short time i got my continent map done. It was easy to do without much frustration. So in about 10 hours i got my continent done to this stage
The map is not done but i will add thinks along my rpg campaign. So if i come up with something while we play i can add it to my map. The region my players are in at the moment has the most detail

What i need is a good swamp region texture, still testing to get one that i like. I even started learning inkscape to create my own svg symbols.

Thinks i would like to see in the program, i wrote on twitter but for completion ill add them here
- more export options. I have some boundary regions for country's on the main continent, easy to hide this part of the tree. But if i add some to the other landmasses it is not so easy. So a option for the export to hide different map options would be great. Maybe not only for export but a way to toggle features globally would come in handy.
- better naming in the tree view. Or the possibility to add sub groups. It is hard for me to sort a thing below another if i can't guess where i am located. Example my forest are mostly on top of everything, if i add a plains that i want partial below the forest i will have to press ctrl+b a lot to get below the forests. With drag and drop i dont know if region 34 - 50 are forest or something else.
- Export 2, some export filters would be great. In CC3 i could create a map in full color and before export add a sepia filter to the whole map. Yes i can do this with an image editing software after the export but it would be nice to have some options.

So thanks for this great tool, i don't regret that i bought it in any way. It will come in handy numerous times.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: I like this program to much

Post by Kanchou » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Hello!

Welcome to OWM and the forums! And thank you so much for the kind words! Always happy to see people enjoying Other World Mapper.

And we love the maps :D. Really happy to see such cool maps being made with OWM!

On your feedback:
Sphinx wrote: What i need is a good swamp region texture, still testing to get one that i like. I even started learning inkscape to create my own svg symbols.
Would you like to see more SVG textures from us? We can work on those. Not sure how everyone feels about SVG artwork :)
Sphinx wrote: - more export options. I have some boundary regions for country's on the main continent, easy to hide this part of the tree. But if i add some to the other landmasses it is not so easy. So a option for the export to hide different map options would be great. Maybe not only for export but a way to toggle features globally would come in handy.
Stephanie replied on Twitter, I think. When you are exporting you can already do this by clicking on the "Layers" button at the bottom of the export window, and in the new window that opens you can globally hide item types as well as other options such as exporting the map as different layers.
And we'll work on adding the ability from the UI to show/hid whole item types.
Sphinx wrote: - better naming in the tree view. Or the possibility to add sub groups. It is hard for me to sort a thing below another if i can't guess where i am located. Example my forest are mostly on top of everything, if i add a plains that i want partial below the forest i will have to press ctrl+b a lot to get below the forests. With drag and drop i dont know if region 34 - 50 are forest or something else.
Yep, planning to work on these changes once OSX release is out :). I will point out that you can "colligate" (combine) features into a single item with the current release.
Sphinx wrote: - Export 2, some export filters would be great. In CC3 i could create a map in full color and before export add a sepia filter to the whole map. Yes i can do this with an image editing software after the export but it would be nice to have some options.
It will be a bit further out, but we are definitely planning to add this. At the very least filters you can setup as you export, but hopefully we'll be able to add them as "filter layers" that you can see in the layer window, enable/disable and stack for multiple effects.

Again, thank you for the post and your feedback! And sorry for the slow reply, deep into our work to get an osx and linux alpha out soon.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:53 am

Kanchou wrote:Hello!

Welcome to OWM and the forums! And thank you so much for the kind words! Always happy to see people enjoying Other World Mapper.

And we love the maps :D. Really happy to see such cool maps being made with OWM!

On your feedback:
Sphinx wrote: What i need is a good swamp region texture, still testing to get one that i like. I even started learning inkscape to create my own svg symbols.
Would you like to see more SVG textures from us? We can work on those. Not sure how everyone feels about SVG artwork :)
More to work with is always nice. One thing i thought of was the ability to add more to region i create. Like an option to add a second texture, or color layer and working a bit with the transparency settings of this layers to create a look i like.
On the svg part, it is good that it is supported. I'm no good artist, but i worked with svg in the past and even for me it is relatively easy to create a symbol out of lines. And i'm a bit strange when it comes to quality, if i have an option to create something that can be scaled as i like i will use it. Even if it doesn't make much sense :)
Sphinx wrote: - more export options. I have some boundary regions for country's on the main continent, easy to hide this part of the tree. But if i add some to the other landmasses it is not so easy. So a option for the export to hide different map options would be great. Maybe not only for export but a way to toggle features globally would come in handy.
Stephanie replied on Twitter, I think. When you are exporting you can already do this by clicking on the "Layers" button at the bottom of the export window, and in the new window that opens you can globally hide item types as well as other options such as exporting the map as different layers.
And we'll work on adding the ability from the UI to show/hid whole item types.
I cant find it or i'm doing something wrong using version 0.9.4
This is how it looks on my side
Step 1

Step 2

Step 3..because i have boundarys hidden at the moment

thats it, the file is exportet with no more options i can see.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:18 pm

Sphinx wrote: More to work with is always nice. One thing i thought of was the ability to add more to region i create. Like an option to add a second texture, or color layer and working a bit with the transparency settings of this layers to create a look i like.
We're actually planning to add the option to have stacked textures and blend modes for the same item in the future, but remember you can create multiple regions each with their textures and stack them that way.
Sphinx wrote: On the svg part, it is good that it is supported. I'm no good artist, but i worked with svg in the past and even for me it is relatively easy to create a symbol out of lines. And i'm a bit strange when it comes to quality, if i have an option to create something that can be scaled as i like i will use it. Even if it doesn't make much sense :)
It does make sense :). That's why I made that cartography symbols set to go with OWM. They are particularly good for simpler symbols and textures where it doesn't need to look "drawn."
Some of the sci fi textures/skins I made with inkscape and then exported them as pngs to create the sci fi tiles. We'll see if we can spend some time adding more svg based artwork.
Sphinx wrote: I cant find it or i'm doing something wrong using version 0.9.4
I tried in multiple ways and I always get the extra dialog after that. You can see it in page 39 of the Help document (can be opened from Help->View Help Document)

And if you click on "Layers" you can select more options.

Please let me know if you don't see this window and we'll look into it more.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:33 am

Kanchou wrote:
Sphinx wrote:
Sphinx wrote: I cant find it or i'm doing something wrong using version 0.9.4
I tried in multiple ways and I always get the extra dialog after that. You can see it in page 39 of the Help document (can be opened from Help->View Help Document)

And if you click on "Layers" you can select more options.

Please let me know if you don't see this window and we'll look into it more.

- Alejandro
I'm sorry, Yes i get this screen. And yes it has the button for the layers. All working as intended, sorry for missing this.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:14 am

Sphinx wrote:I'm sorry, Yes i get this screen. And yes it has the button for the layers. All working as intended, sorry for missing this.
No worries!! Actually we were already thinking of changing those windows so they aren't so "hidden." And we still need to make more tutorials, which would help a lot :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software