Hello from Brazil

New to the forums? Say hi! and tell others about you.

Moderator: Kanchou

jonasdias

Hello from Brazil

Post by jonasdias » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:14 am

Hello everybody,

I am from Brazil and I need to draw a map for a fantasy book I'm writing. Still haven't bought the software but I'm really impressed by the demo video and art gallery. I am a Mac user, so I will need to install OWM on a Virtual Machine, unless the Mac version is released soon. Do you have a loose idea about the release date (maybe a release month)? If the date is nearby, I will wait for it.

Thanks for the great work,
Jonas

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Brazil

Post by Kanchou » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:58 pm

jonasdias wrote:Hello everybody,

I am from Brazil and I need to draw a map for a fantasy book I'm writing. Still haven't bought the software but I'm really impressed by the demo video and art gallery. I am a Mac user, so I will need to install OWM on a Virtual Machine, unless the Mac version is released soon. Do you have a loose idea about the release date (maybe a release month)? If the date is nearby, I will wait for it.

Jonas
Jonas,

Welcome!! :)

Mac is our #1 priority now, but we don't want to give timelines we may not be able to follow. Early 2018 is the best estimate we can give.

1. If you are planning to run in a virtual machine, please make sure to try the Demo in the virtual machine first. We've been successful running OWM in a VirtualBox Windows 10, but please make sure it runs well on your system.

2. If you do get the Windows version, you wouldn't have to rebuy the Mac version later. You get both installers and you can install both.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

jonasdias

Post by jonasdias » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:11 am

Thank you, Alejandro :) I understand. I will try the demo on a VM then.
Best,
Jonas

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:24 pm

jonasdias wrote:Hello everybody,

Jonas
Hi Jonas,

Welcome to the OWM forum.

It's great to have another Mac user to talk to.

I've actually had a friend suggest I get extra hard-drives for a tower Mac that I'm in the process of rebuilding, so that I can use Windows software in a Virtual Machine on the main hard drive and have a second Windows drive for any PC software that runs slowly when doing very complex stuff. (He also recommended getting a third data drive so that I can do Mac work and Windows work and share the data.

(So I might eventually run Windows OWM and Mac OWM and have my maps on a drive that both versions can see.)

What sort of fantasy book are you writing? Is it a world similar to the sort of worlds in tabletop games? Do you think you would ever convert your world into a setting that tabletop players could use?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums