Congratulations!

New to the forums? Say hi! and tell others about you.

Moderator: Kanchou

Toodice

Congratulations!

Post by Toodice » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Well, to say you guys were successful would be understating it a bit. I think this is the first Kickstarter I've backed that managed to achieve every stretch goal and it wasn't like you guys just added a couple on and called it quits. Every time you added some, they were met. It says a lot, really. To be fair, it does make a statement about the current situation with regards to dedicated mapping software with Autorealm being a bit fidgety and Campaign Cartographer being downright awkward and crash-prone. The fact that many people tend to just use Photoshop, The Gimp or Inkscape for mapping rather than dedicated software already made those points though. You guys wrote a thoroughly convincing writeup, constantly sent updates about progress and replied almost immediately to any questions asked by direct message, and I'm pretty convinced that those were driving factors towards your Kickstarter being so successful.

I'm a hobbyist game-designer from the UK with a world-building habit. Those things don't work together as well as you may think, as a one man team isn't exactly fit to create an open-world game, but I can at least use my hobby of world-building to flesh out the storyline to the small games that I make. I've often found that the current software is only good if you already have a plan of a map, as any marks made to the canvass are usually pretty permanent. The software that you guys showed in your video looks user-friendly enough to allow people to actually design maps, changing things on the fly, directly.

So congratulations for two things; an incredibly successful Kickstarter and doing a Kickstarter in a way that genuinely encouraged people to back it. The latter is something that many people tend to fall short of.

stefanstr

Re: Congratulations!

Post by stefanstr » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:39 am

I have only backed two KS projects and both achieved all their stretch goals. I must have really excellent taste then. ;)

Also, I agree with all the congratulatory words above.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Congratulations!

Post by Kanchou » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:59 pm

Thank you for the very kind congratulatory words! :)

We're really excited about Other World Mapper, and the chance we've been given by the community to make it a project to continue building on for many years to come. Everyone on Kickstarter was awesome, asking great questions and giving great feedback!

Thank you again!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software