Will OWM be doing anything at GenCon?

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Big Mac

Will OWM be doing anything at GenCon?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:24 am

I'm guessing that this year might be a bit too early for Other World Mapper to be doing anything at GenCon, but do you think you might be there next year?

It would be awesome, if you could do some live demos of how to use the software to make maps, and maybe invite people to turn up with paper maps and show how quickly they can be recreated with the OWM software. (And then video it at put it onto an Other World Mapper channel on YouTube.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Will OWM be doing anything at GenCon?

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:49 am

It would be awesome!

Right now we are concentrating all our resources (human and financial :)) into finishing the first release of OWM.
However, we would definitely like to make it to GenCon if not next year maybe the one after that. It would be a great opportunity to show OWM in action and meet fellow gamers.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:31 am

Thanks Alejandro.

GenCon does seem pretty busy and expensive. Maybe there is a gaming convention closer to the Three Minds office, that you can do a public demonstration at, to record for YouTube (after you have it launched and have the time for this stuff).

What would be awesome, would be to invite people to bring their own maps and then make a digital version of a map live in the background, while another person talks about how Other World Mapper works to the crowd.
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:53 am

Alejandro & Mac,

Well then .. please let me formally invite Three Mind's Software and OWM to MoatCon 4 - (www.moatcon.com). This is our first open to the entire public convention and we are holding it in Youngsville, NC. Just down the road from y'all, a bit of a drive but we would love to have you and to set you up with a table to demonstrate OWM. And while you are there you can play some games, hang our with some very fine geeks and enjoy some film screenings courtesy of Zombie Orpheus and Dead Gentlemen Productions.

I am filling the role of Games Coordinator so I would love to have you guys come out and speak with our GM's and players to show off your product and get OWM into the minds of the local gamers.

Casey Annis
MoatCon 4
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:54 pm

unklStewy wrote:Alejandro & Mac,

Well then .. please let me formally invite Three Mind's Software and OWM to MoatCon 4 - (http://www.moatcon.com). This is our first open to the entire public convention and we are holding it in Youngsville, NC. Just down the road from y'all, a bit of a drive but we would love to have you and to set you up with a table to demonstrate OWM. And while you are there you can play some games, hang our with some very fine geeks and enjoy some film screenings courtesy of Zombie Orpheus and Dead Gentlemen Productions.

I am filling the role of Games Coordinator so I would love to have you guys come out and speak with our GM's and players to show off your product and get OWM into the minds of the local gamers.

Casey Annis
MoatCon 4
Casey,

This is a very temping opportunity and the drive wouldn't be too bad. It also sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

Our concern is that it's right around the time we would be making the first release. I like being optimistic, but I think we will be trying to squeeze every second around that time. I also wouldn't want to cancel on you at the last minute.

We'll do our best to make it if we catch up with our schedule (even if it's just as plain attendees), but can't make any promises just yet :)

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:55 am

unklStewy wrote:Alejandro & Mac,

Well then .. please let me formally invite Three Mind's Software and OWM to MoatCon 4 - (http://www.moatcon.com). This is our first open to the entire public convention and we are holding it in Youngsville, NC. Just down the road from y'all, a bit of a drive but we would love to have you and to set you up with a table to demonstrate OWM. And while you are there you can play some games, hang our with some very fine geeks and enjoy some film screenings courtesy of Zombie Orpheus and Dead Gentlemen Productions.

Casey Annis
MoatCon 4
Sorry I didn't respond before Casey.

I've been busy with RL stuff and haven't been onto the forums.

I actually live in London, in the UK, so going to GenCon would be a mega-RPG-trip across the world for me.

Incidentally, I noticed (on Kickstarter) a gizmo that says that there are 18 OWM backers in London. So maybe, if any of the OWM team are passing through, we could all meet up sometime and make maps together.

Even if that is not possible, it might be worth inviting a few OWM backers to an event, so that they can build their own maps, while potential customers watch to see how easy the software is to use.

(I've not started with the beta version yet, otherwise I would happily import Spelljammer maps with broken poles and try to sort them out live. :-) )

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:11 am

Big Mac wrote:
Incidentally, I noticed (on Kickstarter) a gizmo that says that there are 18 OWM backers in London. So maybe, if any of the OWM team are passing through, we could all meet up sometime and make maps together.

Even if that is not possible, it might be worth inviting a few OWM backers to an event, so that they can build their own maps, while potential customers watch to see how easy the software is to use.

(I've not started with the beta version yet, otherwise I would happily import Spelljammer maps with broken poles and try to sort them out live. :-) )
We are but humble indie programmers, so that's one trip we can't make (probably can't make a trip to a US west coast convention for that matter ;P ). Hopefully some day we can make it across. There are a lot of really awesome gaming events throughout Europe and we would love to make it to a few!

As we we posted earlier on the comments for KS, if our London backers meet up that would be cool! I know several of you are from the RPG community, so I wouldn't be surprised if you know each other already.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software